First brew woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Novice

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to brewing and I am currently fermenting a dark ale that has an equal amount of malt to sugar as per the instructions.

I have taken hydrometer tests everyday as per the instructions and now things have slowed right down.

I seem to be stuck now just before the bottling stage and today after a week and a half is the first time that I have seen a slight decline in the reading.

Can anyone tell me is it best to add more yeast/sugar, leave for longer with it being so close or do something else that I cannot think of?

I have tasted one of the daily samples and it takes ok a little warm but the temperature is 20 degrees at the moment which I think is acceptable.

Please do not reply with abbreviations as I am new to this and therefore need things explained in simple terms.

Thanks in advance

Katy

Hello, and welcome to brewing, and HomebrewTalk!

What recipe kit did you use? A week and a half is about a good time for fermentation to be nearly complete, but you are doing the right thing in testing everyday. That may be a little much, but its fine when just starting, and getting a feel for things.

No need to add more sugar, unless you want more alcohol, and probably a harsher/dryer beer. No reason to add more yeast.

Keep testing the beer, and once the gravity readings have not moved for 2-3 days, and you like how it tastes, you can move ahead with bottling.

Let us know if you have more questions!

What was the OG (Original Gravity) and what is the gravity now? Without that information it will be difficult to make an informed decision. Also, why is this posted in Homebrewing Deals instead of the beginning brewers forum?

Hello, and welcome to brewing, and HomebrewTalk!

What recipe kit did you use? A week and a half is about a good time for fermentation to be nearly complete, but you are doing the right thing in testing everyday. That may be a little much, but its fine when just starting, and getting a feel for things.

No need to add more sugar, unless you want more alcohol, and probably a harsher/dryer beer. No reason to add more yeast.

Keep testing the beer, and once the gravity readings have not moved for 2-3 days, and you like how it tastes, you can move ahead with bottling.

Let us know if you have more questions!
Thanks for your help. I cannot remember the make of the kit all I know it was a dark ale from Wilkinsons.

It is my very first brew so I guess it is not bad for a first attempt.

What was the OG (Original Gravity) and what is the gravity now? Without that information it will be difficult to make an informed decision. Also, why is this posted in Homebrewing Deals instead of the beginning brewers forum?
The previous person has helped me so thanks for your response. Sorry I am completely new to this website and brewing so forgive me if I happen to have posted in the wrong room.

Not sure if i misunderstand, but there is no need to take a sample every day, it's better to leave it be for 7 to 10 days before checking gravity.

but it's so much fun! lol! sorry to @Brew_Novice , you know, if you spend too much time here you'll have to come up with a new handle! ;)

i want to find out what the OG, FG was....(and yes i say that to be a bit of a rascal :D)

Welcome to the hobby Katy! I have to second what schmurf said...taking samples or readings daily is not a good idea. You run the risk of infection, oxidation, etc. As you get more brews under your belt, you'll get to know how your airlock gives you clues, strain of yeast, style of beer, temp of fermentation, etc.

New home brewer here as well. I don’t think anything is wrong with your beer, fermentation is usually pretty vigorous at first and slows down as there is less and less sugar for the yeast to use. Slowing decreases in gravity readings is normal, and means fermentation is nearing done. Usually at this point you should notice the krausen (nasty foamy stuff at the top of the fermenter) start to drop out. Sounds like your on the right track, and don’t be too hard on yourself for your first brew. Mine was terribly oxidized.

Patience will be the hardest thing to learn in this hobby.
Brew a batch, put in the fermenter, and walk away a read a good book for a couple of weeks.
Don't peek, don't fret, don't open it. Let it sit quietly in the corner, absorbing the universe's positivity.

Then, take a sample.

And, should you learn patience, tell the rest of us how you did it!

Hi everyone,

I am new to brewing and I am currently fermenting a dark ale that has an equal amount of malt to sugar as per the instructions.

I have taken hydrometer tests everyday as per the instructions and now things have slowed right down.

I seem to be stuck now just before the bottling stage and today after a week and a half is the first time that I have seen a slight decline in the reading.

Can anyone tell me is it best to add more yeast/sugar, leave for longer with it being so close or do something else that I cannot think of?

I have tasted one of the daily samples and it takes ok a little warm but the temperature is 20 degrees at the moment which I think is acceptable.

Please do not reply with abbreviations as I am new to this and therefore need things explained in simple terms.

Thanks in advance

Katy

Each sample, test, opening of the fermenter runs the risk of introducing infection. I've been homebrewing since 1995. I've learned to let the primary fermentation sit for 3 weeks.

Are the hydro reading adjusted for the temp vs hydro calibration?

What is the hydro reading? What is the expected hydro reading.

What is the temp of the fermenation? Where is the fermenter? (For example in the basement, in a closet, in a room, etc)

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance

Katy
Do instructions say what final gravity to expect? It is normal for fermentation to slow down after first 3 to 5 days. If your brew is legitimately stuck, like lets say 1.020 to 1035 gravity range and is not budging, before adding anything I would crack open fermenter and stir the hell out of it to resuspend the yeast and add some oxygen. Some yeast manufacturers even recommend that procedure for some their yeasts like Wyeast 1388 Belgian strong ale, on their website they even say " This strain is prone to stalling at approximately 1.035; racking or slight aeration will encourage it to finish fermentation.". To prevent such issues going forward, I would recommend oxygenating with pure oxygen through a stone. Never had an issue since i started oxygenating that way.

Back