First brew tasted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boriasm

Reaction score
It was a Caribou Slobber 1 gallon kit. One week in primary, 1 week in secondary and two weeks bottle conditioning... The verdict? It's alright!

I fear I may have messed this one up a bit as I pitched the yeast too hot (upper 70s); transferred to secondary while drunk (so likely some oxygen introduced?) and then filled the bottles too full (could feel the caps bowing outwards a little bit from the carbing). But all in all it's a pretty good beer and I have hopes for my future batches!

There is a bit of a banana-ish, alcoholish flavor up front and the mouth feel is very clean and crisp almost too clean up front and the flavor dissipated off the tongue quickly and there wasn't much of an aftertaste. I don't think I like that too much but maybe that's this particular beer? Or the flaws in it being my first beer? And despite the secondary it was still pretty cloudy which I wasn't a huge fan of. The head was thick and full but it also dissipated quickly (pic is about 30 seconds after the pour).

Anyway, just wanted to share my first experience and am looking forward to future brews!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402113456.533184.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Nice job its drinkable is a good start. Could be the pitching temps being to high for the strain for the off flavors. What strain? Being :drunk: is funny. Controlled temps and maybe trying a protein binder like warfloc will help the hazing to keep proteins out of your fermentation process. Need more info about your brew day. Cheers.

Pitch at ferm temp next time. Keep it cool in a swamp cooler. Good job on drinkable beer

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I remember tasting my first brew, thought it was "ok". At least that's what I was telling myself, truth be told I thought it was bad. I left them (on purpose) in the closet, came back to them like a month later by accident because I forgot all about them and cracked one open. It aged very well. I guess it need some time to bottle condition. So maybe yours just needs a little more time in the bottle.

Some of the off flavors may be attribute to the temperatures. They may also mellow with more time. Your beer is also young. It will likely get better with more age. The carbonation is likely unfinished at 2 weeks bottle conditioning. 3 weeks at about 70 degrees is the recommended time. This will also change the action of the head. It should end up with smaller bubbles and last longer.

Try not to drink them too quickly. That beer will be best in a couple of months.

Congrats on brewing your first beer! Thanks for posting a picture too, I always like seeing people's brews. To echo what others have said above, the off-flavors you mention can be kept in check mainly by temperature control and proper yeast pitching rates. Looking forward to reading about your future batches :mug:

Back