First brew BrewEasy+HighGravity Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elerten

Reaction score
Brewed Pumpkin Ale
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=140674

Equipment
High Gravity's BrewEasy system with the "SV" controller

15 Gallon Mashtun performance and thoughts
With approx. 28 lbs of grains, 4 cans of pumpkin in the mashtun, and a little over half of the total water I still had 1/4 of the head space available.
The autosparge worked great, and I had no problems with anything getting plugged. The brewmometer worked great to know what my mash temp was actually at. If I had a complaint it would be that the autosparge tube doesn't really disperse the water very well. It kind of eats a shallow trough on the side of the kettle that it's on. Not a big deal I guess.

20 Gallon Boil Kettle performance and thoughts
This thing is big. Having been using a 32 quart kettle before, it's big. The boil coil is also very impressive. The water heater elements work fine I'm sure, but the area that the boil coil distributes the heat over is massive in comparison. I would guess it's 25 feet long if you bent it straight. The brewmometer seems wasted in this tank in this configuration. I would assume most that use this with the coil won't be immersion cooling. I'm considering removing it.

Shirron plate chiller
Works fine no problems with it. My water is ass cold so I can't speak to it's efficiency.

Chugger SS head pump
Worked great, had no problems priming it. One thing I noticed between the official blichmann system and this put together system was the ss chugger pump vs the blichmann used plastic pump. Not sure it matter, but stainless is pretty.

Controller "SV"
Not much to say, it doesn't make noise or whine, it didn't get hot, and it maintained my temp right on the nose. When I went to boil I had stopped recycling the wort so the temp controller went to 100 percent, and when the boil started to get crazy I could just dial down the potentiometer nob to slow things down a bit.

Brew Day Breakdown
910am Start heating water, add brewers salts pre mash ph 3.5
1010am dough in 166f
1020am start pump with 0.5gpm orifice on mashtun
1025am check mash ph 5.1 little low here, I added lactic acid by the ML not the activity. mash temp 156
1110am set temp control to 180 for mash out
1120am temp in mash tun approx. 174. shut down pump and dial up controller to 220
1135am mashtun empty just starting to see a boil sg check 1.045
1230am start recycle through plate chiller
1240am heat off
1240am-1:25pm slowly fill fermenters, and pitch yeast sg check 1.051
1:25pm -3:00pm cleanup breakdown hoses.

Targeting 125ppm calcium and the low end of the ph range I overshot a bit, but hit my efficiency numbers. Brewsmith targets the system at around 68% ?? I'd have to check again maybe it's 65%. either way I got there. If I would have added the molasses.

Times are approximate. I was done by 3pm and started at 910am. The rest could be off a minute or 5 here and there.

The only difference is the controller, and the stand. Just picked the high gravity one because it was cheaper. Saved about 400 bucks vs the blichmann controller. I've got about 20 brews through my system now, and it's been great. I have a lot less trub in the bottom of my fermentation buckets. I would still brew 2-3 "cheap" batches of beer to learn the equipment, and get things dialed in.

I haven't done 5 gallons. I would assume it would be fine. The coil is about 5 gallons tall. You could get to strike temperature faster if you aren't recycling. I like to recycle while I'm heating. I use all RO water so I build my brew water while its recycling.

and yes all the pots were the G2 style pots.

I don' recirc my water to bring to strike temp. but I do start somewhere close and I know it doesn't take and hour to get up to temp.

That's from like 55 to 168 or so while recycling. Maybe it was 45 and I overshot a couple so I let it comeback down. I'll have to time that one again.

Back