First Blow-Out, Last blow-out.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many blow-outs have you had?

• None - I didn't even buy an airlock for primaries

• 1 - Enough mess to convince me to change

• 2 - Bum luck - Too high OG, too small fermenter (denial)

• 3 - I don't believe in blow-off tubes.

• Other - Explain below, please.

Results are only viewable after voting.

WoodJRx

Reaction score
So, I've got a few batches under my belt, and I decided to do the Barley & Vine SA Black and Brew clone I ordered (mentioned elsewhere). When I got the kit, the Wyeast pack was partially inflated, but I used it anyways (had a backup I picked up from my LHBS). After 48hrs, and not even a single sign of fermentation (SG was still OG), I figured it was DOA. I aerated the wort again, and repitched.

I came home from work today (~ 18 hours later), and had my first blow out. I've heard mentions of people only using a blow-off tube instead of airlocks. I have to say, after having a blow-out, i'm definitely only going to use them from now on.

So, my long rambling is for this poll - how many of you have had a blow-out, and how many?

Like you, 1 was enough. I was brewing a VERY dark 11%abv porter in a bucket and the lid blew across the room, splattered the ceiling and walls, ruined the upholstery on a folding chair, and made homebrewing a lot less popular with the SWMBO. I use a blow off every time no matter what.

I don't wreck my car every time I drive, but I have insurance every time I drive. Same with blow-off tubes.

First brew ever the lid flew off and made a mess. Ever since then, blow-off tubes at all times.

None, My first one didn't need a blow off tube. Before my second I had joined HBT and read about cleaning the ceiling and decided I never want to do that.

So it is blow off tube at the beginning of every fermentation. I do have airlocks that I use when I need the tube for the next batch.

Yesterday I had quite a mess. I decided that I would fill a 5 gallon carboy right to the neck with 1.080 and wyeast 3522 @ 68*F. I thought maybe just a little would escape and cleaning it up would be no big deal. Apparently the drain plug on the new chest freezer didn't come tightened and the carpet downstairs now smells like a frat house.

The only other time was when I pitched 1.100 onto a yeast cake and the 3+ gallons of headspace didn't cut it.

I just went through that with my current brew, which is only my second batch. I'm brewing the White House Honey Ale recipe and the fermentation compared to my first Red Ale batch was like night and day. Came home to a huge mess - not happening again. I now have 2 blow off hose set-ups. Live and learn! Thank God for this forum - I posted my situation and several members came to my rescue with help and reassurance that all was well. That's what they make mops for, I guess.

I've had 2 so far. Caught them in time to minimize the mess.

1st was a high grav extract hefe. Only my 3rd or 4th batch if i recall correctly. Since then i have always used a tube in my beer.

2nd was a couple of weeks ago. My brother brought home 6 gallons of fresh pressed apple juice from a customer who has an orchard. We pasteurized it and then ran it through a strainer to catch most of the big chunks. It fermented like crazy within the first 24 hrs and filled the air lock so it got a blow off tube as well and it still pushed crap down the tube. All the cider I've done has been started with store bought stuff and it ferments quietly along but this stuff just went crazy. Lesson learned with fresh it will get a tube till it slows down.

I switch out to an air lock when i take the first grav sample. By then it has slowed down and the krausen has started to drop.

Back