First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buhay

Reaction score
Just decided lately that I needed a hobby and what better than a hobby I can consume. Especially beer. Anyway I just got my first batch going. It is a red ale done with this festa brew kit. The guy at the store told me I should start with this (also was on sale) but wow it seemed really easy, suspiciously too easy.

One thing to say that after reading lots of online information and in these forums is that why do they sell these damn beer kits with glass carboys if they aren't necessary, especially for beginners? After I have now had it sitting in a glass carboy already for a few days I realize this is a waste of my time.

Just saying hi and I'll let you know how this first round goes after I bottle. Also I'm sticking with just plastic PET bottles for my first go.

You need to ferment in something. A lot (myself not included) feel that plastic will leach harmful chemicals into your beer.

Welcome and keep reading. There is a ton to learn that will make your beers better. As far as easy.. you can keep it very simple and do extract only kits, step up and steep specialty grains, step again and do partial mash then on to all grain that has many different procedures. Take it as far as you wish.

I don't think plastic is bad, I just do it because I want to try to break my back carrying the 6.5 gallon glass carboy full of pitched wort up the stairs to my spare bathtub fermentation chamber! Good luck man, welcome to the hobby

PET bottles as well as food grade plastic are perfectly safe for brewing. It's regular plastic and water jugs that can be problematic. Glass carboys are far more dangerous for obvious reasons. I've been brewing for years in my trusty 7.5 gallon pail and don't remotely miss using glass carboys, plus they're waaay easier to clean or add mid-ferment ingredients...

I think for the purpose of a hobby dive head first into all grain. The fun ( in my opinion ) is the process . And all grain is all process !!

I use and like better bottles , never used glass . I also have never brewed extract and have so far avoided 001 and / or 1056 yeast just because it's the norm and for me the norm is too easy. I'm sure at some point I will brew an extract batch or two and will use 001/1056 , but it's fun to try to be hold out for now !

This is a great hobby , and I believe it would take many lifetimes to fully understand and perfect every aspect of this great hobby .

Get a "brew hauler" and recruit a helper, they work great and save your back! You can learn a lot by watching your beer ferment in a glass or clear plastic carboy.

and have so far avoided 001 and / or 1056 yeast just because it's the norm and for me the norm is too easy.

Dude, you use 1056 and 001 to bring out hop and malt flavors, not because they are "the norm", you should avoid using water then, if you want to avoid "the norm", that's pretty normal

Get a "brew hauler" and recruit a helper, they work great and save your back! You can learn a lot by watching your beer ferment in a glass or clear plastic carboy.

Well that wouldn't be risking death then, what's the fun in that? I had my younger brother carry it up once, I was so worried, it wasn't worth it.

Ooh! Another glass carboy vs. plastic bucket vs. better bottle thread, yay!

Ok, just kidding. :)

You'll get a lot of opinions as to which is best. Each has its pros and cons. The fact that my tongue-in-cheek comment above hints that, while new to brewing and HBT, I've already read quite a few threads about this with a lot of different opinions.

The fact that it's an issue that has never been and likely never will be definitively settled just tells me that it boils down to opinion, and everyone's got one!

If you already have a glass carboy and are reasonably happy with it, use it! I would consider some kind of hauler for it (though you'll get different opinions on what type of those are best too!)

For me, personally, it's plastic buckets, all the way. Then again, I have a bum shoulder, so the lighter weight vs. glass works best for me in my particular situation.

Cheers!

hey thanks for the replies everyone and thanks for the tips. Site seems to be full of some good people. :mug:

I thought I had mold on my first batch of beer from seeing some pics online but upon closer inspection it is small clusters of bubbles. That is no biggie right?

Ooh! Another glass carboy vs. plastic bucket vs. better bottle thread, yay!

Ok, just kidding. :)

You'll get a lot of opinions as to which is best. Each has its pros and cons. The fact that my tongue-in-cheek comment above hints that, while new to brewing and HBT, I've already read quite a few threads about this with a lot of different opinions.

The fact that it's an issue that has never been and likely never will be definitively settled just tells me that it boils down to opinion, and everyone's got one!

If you already have a glass carboy and are reasonably happy with it, use it! I would consider some kind of hauler for it (though you'll get different opinions on what type of those are best too!)

For me, personally, it's plastic buckets, all the way. Then again, I have a bum shoulder, so the lighter weight vs. glass works best for me in my particular situation.

Cheers!

LOL the thread was more just to say hi and the question more so as why would they sell both in the starter kits (saying you need to use both) instead of giving you the option.

Congrats on your first batch. Welcome to the hobby that can give as much as it takes.

I started with glass, my methods work with glass, so I stick with it. Somewhere in my brain I think glass gets cleaner than plastic, I don't believe it's a reality, but it helps me drink at night.

hey thanks for the replies everyone and thanks for the tips. Site seems to be full of some good people. :mug:

I thought I had mold on my first batch of beer from seeing some pics online but upon closer inspection it is small clusters of bubbles. That is no biggie right?

Yeasties are like male Betta fish.

They blow little bubbles when they're happy, satisfied, and content.

Cheers!

meltroha said:
Dude, you use 1056 and 001 to bring out hop and malt flavors, not because they are "the norm", you should avoid using water then, if you want to avoid "the norm", that's pretty normal

Ha, I knew someone would give me crap on that !!
1. There are lots of other yeast that do a great job with hops . Cigar City uses 1275 as there house yeast , Stone's 007 house yeast is said to be 007 , Rouge has Pac-man , Magic Hat uses a British strain , and so on.

2. Not all beers are hop forward . I actually prefer beers that are yeast forward .

3. If we all brew the same way beer would get boring very quickly.

So , while I will continue to brew with water ( mine happens to be very good ) I will remain a 001/1056 hold out till I find a beer that I feel demands this style yeast and will not make it or any yeast my " go to" yeast ! I believe that the yeast makes the beer and should be given the same amount of consideration as the choice of hops , grain , or fermentation conditions .

Cheers !

Welcome to the hobby and be prepared for the addiction that will take hold. My advice is to brew what you want to brew and don't necessarily worry too much about what other people say about your beer because most people are not very affluent to styles, tastes, hop flavor, etc.... I use the opinions of select few and ignore the rest. Also, there is a go big or go home attitude in the homebrewing community, but you don't have to get sucked in to going "all grain" right away or building a fermentation chamber ASAP, or getting a wort chiller, etc... There are very simple ways to make good beer that is quaffable. All those upgrades will eventually help you make better beer and streamline your process, of course, but it is not needed to make good, drinkable beer. Cheers

:mug:

i just drank my first bottle of festa red ale the other day and it was great. its very easy but is guaranteed not to have you scared off by brewing a crap first batch!

Welcome to the hobby and be prepared for the addiction that will take hold. My advice is to brew what you want to brew and don't necessarily worry too much about what other people say about your beer because most people are not very affluent to styles, tastes, hop flavor, etc.... I use the opinions of select few and ignore the rest. Also, there is a go big or go home attitude in the homebrewing community, but you don't have to get sucked in to going "all grain" right away or building a fermentation chamber ASAP, or getting a wort chiller, etc... There are very simple ways to make good beer that is quaffable. All those upgrades will eventually help you make better beer and streamline your process, of course, but it is not needed to make good, drinkable beer. Cheers

:mug:

Definitely gonna be taking it slow and keeping things simple until I live somewhere with more space. Cheers!

i just drank my first bottle of festa red ale the other day and it was great. its very easy but is guaranteed not to have you scared off by brewing a crap first batch!

Beauty! I actually took a little taste when I swapped it to the carboy and I was already liking the taste!

Latest posts

Back