First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedoginthefog

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for any help

First off, I understand the basic science behind brewing, but have more of an experimental attitude...

With that here is my situation.
Started -
1pd Weyerman Malanoidin barley Malt
Hibiscus and other plant life added
Finished with sugars of Honey, Turbinado Sugar and Date Syrup

Dropped my pre started yeast in at a rather high temp. 84
6.5 gal plastic 5gal of liquid
1020 gravity

2 days no activity - so i re-pitched a top fermenting yeast at 68 with 1020 gravity.

3 days later - I did not see the ferment take place or not, I was away. No noticeable Krausen or bubbling in airlock. SG 1000

Should i bottle and cross my fingers, or attempt to add additional sugar and re-pitch a third time (i like experiments) :) 'cause i'm not worried about final ac, or have the yeast become saturated in their own waste? The starting sg would only give me about 3.5 ABV so i'd think not.

Any suggestions or ideas

Namaste

your gravity dropped so you fermented. an FG (final gravity) of 1.00 is very dry - what kind of yeast are you using? I would not add more sugar and more yeast at this point (what are you trying to accomplish?)

A SG (starting grav) of 1.02 is reeeeeaaaaly weak. you should try to up your sugars on your next attempt, try to get it above 1.04

what are you trying to accomplish?
Yes this is the key question. If your answer is "weak hootch", then you probably succeeded.

One likely reason that you saw no fermentation-like activity was your very low initial gravity. Your only tool is your hydrometer; it's telling you that it's done - but wait a few days and check again, to be sure. You're at about 2.6% alcohol, btw.

An "experimental attitude" is all well and good, but a better experiment would involve making one single change from a tried-and-true recipe. You'll learn more from that, than from a dozen grab-bag mystery concoctions.

Right on. More sugar.

As far as the experiment, weak hooch was fine - I was more interested in the herbal properties of the finished product more than a buzz. The alcohol was just for a carrier...

While I can totally understand starting with the basic tried and true methods and moving a step away at a time, I'm more of a - "good things take time, great things happened in an instance" personality.

I will, however, make some tried and true brews in the future and try to find a happy medium with my bi-polarish conventions.

Peace people

Are you trying to make a MJ beer? If so, there isn't enough alcohol to get your desired effect.

Back