first batch taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just recently tried my single hop best bitter. It tastes pretty good has a nice color but the head went away pretty fast after pouring. Any advice on head retention?

First, how long has it been in the bottle? How long did you chill it prior to cracking it open?

More time on both of those can make a difference, I think it may really be too early to judge the beer. Was this the northern brewer recipe, or one of your own?

Northern brewer recipe. I'm just learning the basics right now but since I started I can't keep my fermented empty. Lol kind of got hooked quick. Just bottled a dark cherry stout n I'm bottling a blonde ale in a few days

I would trust the recipe and give it a little more time. Also once you have a bit of a pipeline built up, start letting your batches stay in the fermenter about 4 weeks, it will make a difference.

I was the same way when I started, brewed almost weekly.

Doesn't the yeast produce off flavors if it sits in the fermenter too long? I fermented a week then transferred to secondary for a week prior to bottling

Doesn't the yeast produce off flavors if it sits in the fermenter too long? I fermented a week then transferred to secondary for a week prior to bottling

There are lots of threads debating this all of the forums. Most of the debate has to do with clarity rather than flavor though. You'll find a different opinion on this from just about everyone that answers.

I mix it up depending on whether the batch gets any dry hops or post fermentation flavoring and depending on if I'm harvesting yeast.

I usually do four weeks in a primary if I'm not dry hopping or harvesting, two weeks if I am. Totally up to you man.

You know what's cool about this hobby? It's not that costly (except time) to make a batch. You can try several batches both ways and decide for yourself which one you prefer. You definitely won't mess up your beer doing a 2 week primary/2week secondary or a full 4 week primary.

If the beer is left on the yeast for a little after it is done fermenting, the yeast will then go back and consume some of their undesirable bi-products they create during fermentation. The amount of time you would need to leave beer on the yeast to have negative effects is often debated, but it is safe to say it is greater than the 4 week period.

I go standard of 4 in the primary, sometimes if I am dry hopping I will go 3 and move it to secondary for the 4th to dry hop, sometimes I will just throw the dry hops in the primary right at week 3 for a week.

Back