First batch questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spuds

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch almost two weeks ago now but have some questions about the whole process. I made Classic American Light with the Mr. Beer kit. After I let it all ferment for 2 weeks and bottled it all there was a ton of stuff settled at the bottom. It looked like the malt had kind of reformed and settled. It smelt like pretty strong alcohol. So my first question is why was it there? What went wrong? Second question is now it kind of looks like that in the bottom of my bottles to. Theres a little bit of that settlement mixed with a little sugar that I had added. Do I need to invert the bottles a few times to mix it up or what? Thanks

Nothing is wrong.

What you saw and are now seeing is yeast. It's a natural part of the process.

Give it ALONE AND IN THE DARK at least 3 weeks in the bottles at 70*F before putting one in the fridge for a few days before sampling.

DOOOOON'T invert the bottles. haha That is the yeast at the bottom that has settled out which carbonated your beer. If you haven't read already, homebrew is to be poured into a glass and drank. You usually try and leave that stuff there when pouring.

Same for the LBK. That is "trub". It's yeast and gunk left over from the yeasties doing their job. Rack your beer to the bottles and leave as much of that stuff behind as you can.

That stuff that settled is normal. We refer to it as trub. I haven't done a mr. beer kit nor watched a video on one. In my case, the trub is protein, hops, and yeast that has fallen out of suspension after fermentation. This process clears the beer. When you bottled, you added new sugar to carbonate your beer by going through a mini fermentation in the bottle. There was enough yeast in your beer when you bottled to carbonate the beer. Then this yeast settles. Don't invert your bottles. Pour slowly into a glass and leave that yeast sediment behind. If you put that yeast back into suspension, you will get cloudy beer and experience beer farts. Seriously. Everything you described is normal. That is one downside to bottling. Chill it in the fridge for at least a week before you drink too many of them, they will clear up, but you will always have the sediment. Congrats on your first brew!

Totally normal,

The stuff that you found at the bottom of the fermenter is called trub and it consists of the spent yeast, break material and hop debris

When bottle conditioning the same type of process occurs in the bottle that was in the primary. Technically it is a secondary fermentation and so you are seeing the same yeast settle out as the beer conditions. After a week in the fridge this will pack down nicely and should not be disturbed so pour gently and leave the little bit in the bottom. Note: For Hefeweizen style beers it is actually beneficial to gently roll the bottle to release this sediment so that it does pour with the beer- this is considered to be a proper pour for the style.

Everything sounds normal. The sediment you saw at bottling time is called "trub", and it is made up of yeast (both living and dead), various grain proteins, and various other types of slag. This gets left behind when you bottle.

The sediment at the bottom of your bottles is mostly just yeast, which was in suspension. Leave it behind when you pour. Again, perfectly normal.

If you were priming by adding granulated sugar to the individual bottles, then yes you could gently turn the bottles around during the first day or two of conditioning. After that, it shouldn't matter since the sugar will all be dissolved. Time to let everything settle, get them into the fridge, and try one!

Back