First batch question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjanderson

Reaction score
I have my first batch in the fermenter and have a question. I took a specific gravity reading after getting everything in the fermenter but it was significantly lower than what the ingredients kit specified for the og. I didn't sweat it too much but now I'm not sure what I should expect to see for a final gravity. It's been fermenting for a week now and I plan to check the gravity this evening.

I don't have the exact numbers with me but can post them later if that would help. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mike

If this was a partial boil, it sounds like you didn't get the top off water mixed well with the wort. This happens a lot. Your OG should be very close to where the recipe stated which means you can rely on what the recipe says the FG should be at.

1-2 points is nothing to be worried about. Posting the numbers will help a lot. If your looking at somewhere like 10 points, then you should be worried...

Kind of confused on what your asking? How much lower was it? If it was just a tad low no worries, just don't bottle until the gravity stops dropping.

If your looking at somewhere like 10 points, then you should be worried...

No, he shouldn't. Odds are this was an extract or PM batch from a recipe kit. It's pretty hard to really screw the pooch when it comes to OG, unless you start tinkering with the ingredients.

Much more likely you did what I did on my first batch, and just didn't mix the wort and top off water enough. Nothing to worry about, just let the yeast do their thing. Fermentation will mix everything up properly, and you'll have beer in a few weeks/months.

No, he shouldn't. Odds are this was an extract or PM batch from a recipe kit. It's pretty hard to really screw the pooch when it comes to OG, unless you start tinkering with the ingredients.

Yes, the kit had both extract and powdered malt. No ingredient tinkering was done.

So I should expect the FG to be pretty close to what the recipe calls for, right.

When should I start measuring for the FG? It's been a week and airlock activity has dropped off to less than a bubble a minute.

Just an update. The batch is now bottled and looks fine. The FG was right in line with what the recipe said.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back