First batch in a long time...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nckid4u

Reaction score
This is my first post on this forum. I have been lurking for a few months as I made the decision to get back into home brewing. I started brewing back in the late 1980's in Nova Scotia using prehopped extract kits (Doric was the name - I still remember it). I did finally make the transition to extract and hops before I moved to the US. That was back in the late 1990's and I have not been brewing since. I bought some basic equipment and an extract kit (a Red Ale kit from brewers best) to ease my way back in.
I made certain I maintained proper sanitation and got my wort fermenting according to the recipe from the kit. My kit used Nottingham dry yeast, two cans of light LME, choclate and caramel grains, and one ounce each of fuggle and golding hops (pellets). Smelled great in the boiling pot. The wort was cooled quickly (sink full of ice water replenished as needed). Everything went very smoothly. I used a couple of drop of antifoam during the boil and had not troubles. I also tossed in a whirlfloc tablet near the end of the boil.
Pitched the yeast and set in my closet at 62-64 degrees for 10 days. I think the antifoam affected the krausen, as it was pretty small, but it fermented out great. SG was 1.049. This kit fermented very quickly, but not violently. I believe I had a leaky lid on the bucket as there was little bubbling from the airlock (although I did not pay much attention to the first few days, so I may have missed the activity). By day 5 things were virtually at a standstill. I took a hydrometer reading at day 7, 9, and 10 and it was consistent at 1.012.
I did not transfer to a secondary plan to go straight from primary to bottling bucket.
The bucket is currently sitting in my basement (I have an old coal chute in my basement that I have reclaimed as storage space. It has a well sealed door that allows it to stay very cold in winter). The temp in there is currently 39 degrees. I plan to leave it in the a couple of days and then bottle. it is remarkably clear now, but the cold crash can't hurt.
I have a bottling bucket that has a spigot and fashion a little elbow onto it to get the intake a little closer to the bottom of the bucket. I also have fashioned my bottle filler onto the spigot with a 1" hose as outlined in a post on here regarding bottle filling hacks. I am very happy with the process so far. I expected more fumbling and bumbling (it is not over yet, so I still have time to muck it up). I may bottle tonight or possibly tomorrow night depending on how well the kids are acting...
I am shooting for a CO2 level of around 2.5 for my Red Ale. I have 5 ounces of priming sugar that came with the kit (my assumption is that it is simply corn sugar). I have it calculated that I only need 4 ounces for my needs. I expect about 3-4 weeks for a good carbonation (will be at 62-65 degrees). It should be drinkable by then. I am bottling into 22 ounce glass bombers. I don't have any specific questions, just wanted to post my experience and see if anybody noticed any glaring omissions or potential problems. Thanks for reading. Comments welcomed.

I'm also in Pittsburgh, just starting brewing again after a 10 year break. Its pretty nice having 2 locations here for home-brew supplies. I made an extract brew shortly before Christmas and then changed to BIAB after reading up on how easy it is. I made 2 more 5 gallon batches since. Nothing is quite ready yet but I just went crazy when I started again. I bottled my extract brew (60 min IPA clone) two weeks ago and couldn't help but start drinking it early. Anyway I ferment, age bottle and age in my basement. Its always in the 60's there. Everything above looks good, but I'm no pro. Welcome back to the obsession.

Thanks. I bottled tonight and was amazed at how clear the beer was. The transfer to the bottling buck left me awestruck. I was used to the cloudy brew of old. I ended up with 27 22oz bottled. Gave it a taste and it is just what I was hoping for. I have three more dozen 22oz bottles, so I guess I'll be making a trip to Babcock Blvd to pick up more supplies and get started on another. I am thinking of a cream ale for the next one. I am going to find a good recipe and pick up the components individually. They have a great selection of hops and extract up there.

One quick question. My bottles are being stored in a closet that holds pretty steady at 62-64 degrees. I am guessing about a month to carb the bottles at this temp. Is there a way to gauge carbonation without opening a bottle? Again, it was Nottingham yeast and it fermented with no issues at that temp in the primary.

Carbing at that temp could take longer than a month. 70F is the norm for carbing in 3-4 weeks. The yeast's high temp doesn't matter once in the bottles, but the low temp most certainly does. Too low a temp & the yeast goes dormant, or slows down.

I agree with uniondr. I would put those bottles somewhere warmer. Even at roughly 70 degrees it takes my bottles 2 weeks at a minimum to get to a decent carb level. Of course everything depends on the amount of priming sugar, how well you mixed your solution in, etc., but something closer to 70 degrees would definitely help the process move faster.

Update - I moved these to a slightly warmer location. In my old house here in Pittsburgh, it would cost a literal fortune to keep this place at 70 degrees. I did put it in an upstairs bedroom that stays in the high 60s. I am going to give it two or three more weeks before I try a bottle. I am going to make a vanilla cream ale this weekend for my spouse. I have enough 22oz bottles on hand to bottle another 5 gallon batch, so I figure I might as well not leave them empty.

One quick question. My bottles are being stored in a closet that holds pretty steady at 62-64 degrees. I am guessing about a month to carb the bottles at this temp. Is there a way to gauge carbonation without opening a bottle? Again, it was Nottingham yeast and it fermented with no issues at that temp in the primary.

Something you can do is to bottle one or two beers in a plastic soda bottle. That way you can feel the pressure building by pressing on it. Once it gets pretty hard (that's what she said) give it a week then chill and try it. I get stuff at Country Wines occasionally. I'm up in Harmony and the Porterhouse Brew Shop is only a mile down the road but I like to stop at the Babcock store for parts and different hops and yeast. Dave is a cool guy too!

Something you can do is to bottle one or two beers in a plastic soda bottle. That way you can feel the pressure building by pressing on it. Once it gets pretty hard (that's what she said) give it a week then chill and try it. I get stuff at Country Wines occasionally. I'm up in Harmony and the Porterhouse Brew Shop is only a mile down the road but I like to stop at the Babcock store for parts and different hops and yeast. Dave is a cool guy too!

Good idea. I cracked on open this weekend to test (couldn't wait) and it was starting to carb nicely. Not quite ready for prime time, but had some carbonation and tasted great. Another week or two will do the trick. I like Country Wines. There is also a small shop in Oakmont that has a nice selection of basic stuff.

Looks pretty good to me. Tastes great. A little more time in the bottle should clean up the "green" flavors and make it even better.

WIN_20160129_20_24_29_Pro.jpg

Looks great!

I also started brewing again this past Summer after about a 10 year or so absence from the hobby. Back in the late 80's / early 90's things were sure a lot different than today! In the pre-Internet days, Information and the selection and availability of ingredients was nothing like it is today. Remember Cat's Meow and usenet alt.brewing? :)

Back