First batch ever, hops floating everywhere

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HObrew

Reaction score
Hey all,
So last night I legged my first brew ever. It's an IPA with some dry hopping.

Wanted to taste it today to test and right from the get go, my dip tube and valve clogged with hop debris. After clearing it, I finally got a pour and concluded that it was not carbonated enough but the flavor was great!

It's got a lot of hop bits in the liquid and I was wondering if it will clear up after a few pours or if there is some action to take.

I want to be able to share this with friends but not if it's unappetizingly dirty!

Thanks in advance!

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

Eventually most of it will settle out so if you can get past that initial post clogging it should get better. But it's really no big deal if there are hops in your beer. It doesn't get any more "hop forward" than an IPA with hops in suspension!

Were the hops in the keg without a filter?

Following up on enkamania's post, you may want to look into a hop style dry hopping bag so you can pull the bag out and not leave all that sediment behind. A clogged dip tube is a PITA.

If you did use a hop bag or hop sock, the hop sediment seems to have escaped its containment system.

Try and not move the keg and hopefully theyll settle. How big was the dry hop? I use a ss canister. I get a few partials on the first and last few pours

Back