First batch bottled, but not much head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caboose

Reaction score
Over the weekend I got to try a bottle of my first batch. Its a Dunkelweizen, when I popped the top there was a nice sound of carbonation. When I poured into the glass, as you can tell from the bottle there isnt much of a head.

Any chance this is because its only been in the bottle 1 week? Or am I just pouring into the glass to slowly/softly?

IMAG0053.jpg

One week of carbing is probably not enough to see much head. Give it another week or two and you should see an increase. I have had beers take 3-4 weeks to fully carb. In one instance I had an IPA take a couple of months to fully carb. I wouldn't worry.

Yep, 1 week is not enough time. Most people recommend 3 weeks at 70 degrees for carbing and allowing the beer to condition. After that, refrigerate for a day or two to allow the CO2 to dissolve into the beer.

Allowing this much time will also drastically improve the flavor of the beer. It's difficult to be patient when you are first starting, but the rewards are well worth it. In the meantime, start another batch to keep yourself occupied.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Watch poindexter's video in there for an idea of carbonation development over time.

Haha Thanks! Yeah thats the plan. I have a batch of IPA that is due to bottle this weekend, and I will be starting a 3rd (And maybe a 4th!) Sunday!

Back