First Batch and not sure what to do from here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upandcomer

Reaction score
This is my first post on this board and more importantly Sunday I brewed up my first batch of beer. I am brewing a Robust Porter from the Brewers Best ingredients kits. I have it in the fermenter and it is still bubbling about every 20 seconds or so. I know I need to let it be for a while yet but how long would everyone recommend?

Also I am not sure how to exactly bottle either. Here is the kit that I am currently using http://www.benshomebrew.com/beer-equipment-kit-p/eqkitbeer.htm The directions arent very specific on how to make this process easy without getting all the sediment in the bottom of the bucket.

Any feedback on either question is appreciated so thank you in advance.

I would leave it in Primary for 2-3 weeks.

When you rack out of the fermenter and into the bottling bucket you will siphon the liquid off of the sediment leaving that junk behind.

Leave it alone for at least the next 3 weeks then go ahead and bottle it. Once bottled I would give it 3 weeks or more before testing. The hard part is waiting for it to be ready :(

I would leave it in Primary for 2-3 weeks.

When you rack out of the fermenter and into the bottling bucket you will siphon the liquid off of the sediment leaving that junk behind.

Leave it alone for at least the next 3 weeks then go ahead and bottle it. Once bottled I would give it 3 weeks or more before testing. The hard part is waiting for it to be ready :(

Thank you both for the responses. I dont want to jump the gun and I dont want to leave it set for too long either. Which is worse to do? Leave it too long or not long enough?

Ultimately I want to do it as close to right the first time so that way I dont get discouraged with brewing in general.

1. Leave it alone.
2. Don't touch it.
3. forget it's there
4. Read Revvy's awesome instructions on bottling
Take the next 3 weeks to plan out your bottling strategy, play with the siphon and try a few bottles using the bottling bucket and water. Figure out the best way to do everything in your space.

I decided to buy a bench capper before i bottled anything just because I thought it would work better for me. The 1 piece of equipment that every one should own and not in your kit is the Vinator.

Everything else you'll figure out after a few batches.

Its worse to leave it 'not long enough'...because then fermentation isn't actually over, and your beer bottles could literally explode once bottled.

Too long is measured in months...not extra days or a couple of weeks. Yes you can 'ruin' beer by leaving it 'too long' in primary, but its harder to damage beer that way vs. 'too soon'...which can stall fermentation completely, doesn't let off flavors (like diacetyl) get cleaned up, etc, etc.

even without taking gravity readings, i'm sure you can leave it in the primary for 2 weeks then transfer to your bottling bucket. The bubbles should be at least 90 seconds apart by then. The only way to make sure is to take gravity readings for 2 days and make sure they remain the same. There should be an attachment on the bottom of your siphon that keeps it from sucking up all of the trub from the bottom. Here's a link to a vid that will explain all of this process.
A lot of guys leave it in the primary for 3 weeks and then bottle.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Leave it alone.
2. Don't touch it.
3. forget it's there
4. Read Revvy's awesome instructions on bottling
Take the next 3 weeks to plan out your bottling strategy, play with the siphon and try a few bottles using the bottling bucket and water. Figure out the best way to do everything in your space.

I decided to buy a bench capper before i bottled anything just because I thought it would work better for me. The 1 piece of equipment that every one should own and not in your kit is the Vinator.

Everything else you'll figure out after a few batches.

Thank you. From what I gather the whole thing is about patience and practice. I very much so appreciate the link.

Its worse to leave it 'not long enough'...because then fermentation isn't actually over, and your beer bottles could literally explode once bottled.

Too long is measured in months...not extra days or a couple of weeks. Yes you can 'ruin' beer by leaving it 'too long' in primary, but its harder to damage beer that way vs. 'too soon'...which can stall fermentation completely, doesn't let off flavors (like diacetyl) get cleaned up, etc, etc.

I assumed this as well. I didnt know if longer was worse for it. Thanks!

even without taking gravity readings, i'm sure you can leave it in the primary for 2 weeks then transfer to your bottling bucket. The bubbles should be at least 90 seconds apart by then. The only way to make sure is to take gravity readings for 2 days and make sure they remain the same. There should be an attachment on the bottom of your siphon that keeps it from sucking up all of the trub from the bottom. Here's a link to a vid that will explain all of this process. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG6kdJQGBkM
A lot of guys leave it in the primary for 3 weeks and then bottle.

I actually looked on youtube prior to coming back to my thread and did see this as similar suggestions on vids!!

You guys are great I thank you for the suggestions.

Latest posts

Back