First bad batch... Any advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPR-GRN

Reaction score
So I've been brewing for 5 or so years now, and I've managed to avoid the dreaded bad batch.... Until now.
I started a 6 gallon batch of winter lager and separated it into a 5gal and 6gal secondary so I could try out an oaked gallon; well I just bottled the one gallon portion and to say the least, it ain't that good.
Its just Lacking in flavor, I don't know what happened but I'm thinking the 5 gallon batch will be the same way, what advice do you guys and gals have to offer?
Suck it up and have a bad batch?
Brew a stronger flavored additional batch and mix the two?
Other ideas?

Thanks I hope...

Hang onto it for a while and see if it improves with a little age, make chili or the suggestion that I know many will disagree with...if you don't love it and need the space, then down the drain it goes.

Well, I'm going to hang onto it regardless, maybe my expectations were a little high.. I mean I expected it to punch me in the face, since I used oak and cinnamon in it; but it was really realy mellow... I'll see how it is in a couple-few weeks, I was hoping to share it at christmas time, but they will just have to settle for the end of my blonde ale and some of my merlot.

Leave it alone for awhile and it will get better.
PS: Oak AND cinnamon will never get better...

I had my first bad batch due to acetobacter taking over... luckily it was a split batch and only 2gal got ruined

Thats just it, I think I under-did it with the spices not over-did it... it tastes green, yes, but it is lacking in flavor not over abundant with it.

ill do as John Lennon says and "let it be", but man, I'm thirsty...

Back