first attempt at this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

completelyuncorked

Reaction score
Well, I pretty much followed the recipe in the winemakers recipe handbook but multiplying that for a 6gal carboy, after mixing it all up I bumped the SG up to 1.060 by adding 2 more cups of sugar. That was yesterday, after letting it sit for about 24 hrs with the crushed campden I added the yeast this evening and now its just a waiting game.:mug:

I got the yeast from Home Brew Market in Appleton....I dont know about amazing but simple works for me...lol I will save amazing for something a bit more complicated

Most champagne yeasts make for a clean tasting cider. Props to you for avoiding the most common beginner mistake and dumping in pounds and pounds of sugar into your juice fermenting it dry and then wondering where the apple flavor went.

red star champagne yeast works fine but next time you go to the LHBS see if you can get your hands on cider yeast. Both Wyest and White labs make some. Your end product wont be so dry that way

Thanks for the compliments and the tips, I was just going by the directions as for what to use for yeast since this is my first time making this. It seems to be going good as there are bubbles breaking the air lock every 7 seconds right now.

I popped the cover on my cider earlier just to check on it and it is looking great and it smells wonderful, I think sometime tomorrow I may pull a sample to check the SG because it is bubbling like crazy and also to see what it may taste like. :p

Back