First Attempt at a Gose Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schiersteinbrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to attempt a Gose for my first sour.

My recipe is
4 gal Batch
5 gal preboil (so everything fits into the coney keg)

ABV 4.7
OG 1.037
IBU 6.5
SRM 3

3.3lbs Pilsner Malt
2.2lbs Wheat Malt
.3oz Hallertau (4% AA)
.6oz Sea Salt
.8oz crushed coriander
Wyeast French Saison yeast

Here is my BIAB mash and sour method.

Protein rest 122 for 20min
Mash at 148 for 90min
Mash out at 170 for 15min
lift bag allow to drain
sanitize chiller
chill wort to 110deg
Adjust ph of wort to 4.5 with Latic Acid
Clean and sanitize corny keg
Transfer wort to corny keg
Pitch Wyeast Lacto 5335
Purge corny with CO2
Allow to sour 12-48 hours at 100deg until PH is 3.6

Then boil, chill and ferment as usual.

I my process correct?

Trying to clone a beer called The Salty Lady

I originally posted the non adjusted recipe with questions in the recipe section.

I frequently kettle sour wort to make Gose styled sours. I have made a word doc outlining the process, so if you are interested in looking it over, pm me with your email address.

This looks like a solid recipe and method.

You may want to let the Lacto sour it below pH 3.6, though. That's really not tart at all, you may find it not sour enough. A good tartness level for the style would fall anywhere from pH 3.2 - 3.4(?), depending on your taste. My first gose I went down to 3.50, and that just seemed a little lacking. The next ones I dropped to about 3.3 to 3.4 and they're perfect (for my taste).

Hope this turns out well, keep us posted. Cheers!

This looks like a solid recipe and method.

You may want to let the Lacto sour it below pH 3.6, though. That's really not tart at all, you may find it not sour enough. A good tartness level for the style would fall anywhere from pH 3.2 - 3.4(?), depending on your taste. My first gose I went down to 3.50, and that just seemed a little lacking. The next ones I dropped to about 3.3 to 3.4 and they're perfect (for my taste).

Hope this turns out well, keep us posted. Cheers!

100% in agreement on your ph recommendations. It seems widespread that the average new sour brewer stops short on the ph goal w/o getting low enough. Maybe they get anxious and want to get on with the boil, or maybe they are skittish to drop it on down to 3.2 or so. I totally understand.

I decarbed a couple of commercial beers and tested the ph that ranged from very mildly sour to puckering sour. Very mild was around 3.6 and very sour was 3.2 or a bit less. L Plantarum stalls out for me around 3.18-3.20 so I let it go until it hits the bottom. I hate to sound like I am on a soap box, but a decent ph meter is a good tool when you are splitting hairs like we are discussing.

I started off with one of those $20 meters on Amazon. It seemed to work fine although I really cant vouch much for the accuracy as I didn't have anything to compare it to. It worked until just after the return period had passed, then displayed all 888888888's, then just flat out died on me.

I read and read and decided on the Hach Pocket Pro+ ph meter. I simply love it! Easy and convenient and very reliable for close to 2 years now.

I have a buddy who is a PhD at a Clemson University field office a few miles from me. So I bottle up a few ounces of a sour wort that I just made. I did my calibrations on the Hach and tested the wort ph. My friend took some of the wort to his lab and even though he took his out to 3 decimal places, it rounded off to the same reading I got. He said whatever meter you got there buddy....it is a darn good one!

Ordered all the necessary items for the brewday.

Have everything ready to make the starters.

Hope to get my kettle back from the welder next week.

I bought a PH meter shortly after I started all grain brewing several years ago. I use to have the cheap red Hanna meter it was awful, take forever to calibrate and never hold calibration for more than a few hours. Fought it for awhile, got tired of fighting it and I bought a Thermoworks meter, much better meter. Bought a Thermapen at the same time, shoulda bought 2 Thermapens, the kitchen and brewery always fight over the Thermapen. I'm the chef in the house, the SWMBO just knows it's a "good" thermometer.

Welder called and said it will be another week, it's not a big enough job for him to mess with really. So I just went and picked it up. SWMBO gave me permission to buy a Blichmann. Bye bye Bayou Classic, think this will be a good brew to christen the new kettle.

Welder called and said it will be another week, it's not a big enough job for him to mess with really. So I just went and picked it up. SWMBO gave me permission to buy a Blichmann. Bye bye Bayou Classic, think this will be a good brew to christen the new kettle.

Which Blichmann did you buy? I have 2 and really enjoy mine.

I want to buy a 7.5gal G2 next then the Brew Easy adapter. I would have loved to buy it all at once just can't spend that kind of money all at once. I have a Chugger and Brew-Boss so just need kettles and adapter.

Trying a kettle sour

5lbs Pilsner Malt
3lbs Wheat Malt
1lb Rice Hulls
.5 oz Hallertau (60min)
.75oz Sea Salt (15 min)
.75oz Coriander (15 min)
oyl-605 lacto
Imperial B64 Napoleon

1l starter for lacto held at 90 deg for 2 days added 1ml lactic to drop ph to 4.5 before pitching oyl-605 at pitching ph was 3.4

8 gal RO
1.5g Epsom
1.5g Gypsum
3.5g CaCl
1 campden tablet
2ml Lactic Acid
mash ph 5.4

Brought to wort to boil boiled 1-2 min
chilled to 100deg
added 10ml lactic acid to bring ph to 4.5(at room temp)
pitched 1l Oyl-605 starter
Removed temp probe from T; sanitized and put probe over rim into Kettle
sanitized lid placed on kettle; wrapped lid/kettle with Saran Wrap (added measure to keep little gnats/flys out)
set brew boss to Maintain temp of 95 deg, wrapped kettle with blanket

still souring will check ph tonight and edit post

18 hours in ph 3.6

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1498251051.405960.jpg

Back