First Annual MVHBC Homebrewing Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanaDana

Reaction score
http://www.mvhbc.com/competition/

Enter your homebrews, and if you are in the area sign up to Judge or Steward! Should be a great event, so get your best brews and send them in.

REGISTRATION OPENS: APRIL 1st, 2012
ENTRY DEADLINE: MAY 5th, 2012
Competition Date: MAY 19, 2012

I might be interested in stewarding or judging....but nowhere on your web page does it list the location of the judging! I live in Manchester, NH and dont' mind driving down to Mass. for something like this....but if it's going down out in the Berkshires or on the Cape or something, that's a bit far.....

http://www.mvhbc.com/competition/

Enter your homebrews, and if you are in the area sign up to Judge or Steward! Should be a great event, so get your best brews and send them in.

REGISTRATION OPENS: APRIL 1st, 2012
ENTRY DEADLINE: MAY 5th, 2012
Competition Date: MAY 19, 2012
I am relatively new to brewing and have not yet ventured into all grain. This sounds fun though. Is it even worth entering a Partial Mash Brew? Im not expecting much.

I am relatively new to brewing and have not yet ventured into all grain. This sounds fun though. Is it even worth entering a Partial Mash Brew? Im not expecting much.

SamHain - all-grain has little to do with competitions (some might argue this, but all-extract and partial-mash recipes have won in national competitions quite frequently). Competitions are more about (1) brewing accurately within a particular style's guidelines and (2) quality of your brew. A poorly-made all-grain recipe will always get skunked by an all-extract with proper sanitation and good technique. But the best all-grain super-awesome-craziest beer in the world will also lose if it doesn't fit the style that it was entered in.

For most of us, competitions are more about getting useful feedback on our beers.....and a social experience at some.......actually winning something is more of a nice bonus.

Absolutely DarkBrood. Thanks for answering the question before I got to it (I been busy a few days). I do all grain now, but I entered partial mash for many years even winning a few ribbons. If you want some feedback on your brews its always good to enter some competitions.

Going to drop off an entry to Modern Homebrew Emporium in the coming week. More looking for critique than expecting a ribbon, but hey keep the expectations low right?

Cheers!

Good luck on the entry ! I have entered comps before just hoping for a "What went wrong" and came out with a ribbon.

I took a couple pics at the comp,

massvalleycomp1s.jpg

massvalleycomp2boss.jpg

Hey Dana, I was the steward for you and David in the 2nd session, congrats on the Heathered Mild. I'm thinking about going to the next club meeting, hopefully I'll get to try some of that Mild there, and I'll bring a few bottles of that Single Hop Crystal APA. Congrats Mark on the Belgian Specialty Ale, it was cool stewarding for you and James in the 1st session. I've entered other comps, but this is the first one I've attended, and it was pretty cool talking beer with other beer geeks.

Bob

It was great to have you there Bob. Yeah, the added benefit of the comps are getting to meet others when you attend!

There was an issue with the packaging and delivery of the scoresheets apparently. And they should be going out soon.

Sent out all scoresheets for non-placing entries today. Will be sending out all medals tomorrow. Sorry for the delay, I had to hand write all of these because I didn't plan for this part.

Next year will be smoother.

Thanks for the update Matt. I've been dying to see my scoresheets, this was the best I've ever done in a comp. The competition was alot of fun, thanks again for having it. If I could offer one idea that might make things easier next year. I read about another comp that scanned all the scoresheets and emailed them. As long as the scans are of a high enough quality that it can be easily read, I don't think anybody needs a paper copy, and if they did they could always print it out themselves.

Bob

Back