first all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icebob

Reaction score
What an adventure this morning! first found I don't have the right bung for my carboy, after that, while in the mash tun, I decide to be productive and put 1 gallon of water at a time in my kettle to make 1 gallon mark on my paddle stick, found the 6.5 gallons pre boil required by my recipe won't fit in the kettle... I have another big pot I use for canning, so after mashing and sparging, I end up just an hair shy of the 6.5 gallons, so I pour 3.25 gallons of water in the kettle and made a mark, fill up the kettle to that mark and put the rest in the other pot. I also weight all my hops addition and divide by 2 and put em in different hop bags. Put both pots on the burners ( I use a lower BTU for the second one so I have 15mins difference before boil. Got 2 timer going and proceed as usual. My concern is the worth chiller, last night it took me about 15/20 mins to chilled a partial boil (3 gallons) so I guess I can chill one pot transfert to the primary and after do the same with the other pot. Would you boil the wort chiller between the 2 chill session? Thx in advance

I would stagger the boils. That is, boil one first and then while that batch is chilling boil the next one. That way you won't have hot wort sitting in wait of the chiller. Plus, you could transfer the chiller to the next pot while it is still boiling so you don't have to worry about sanitation. Just my $.02. If you're already boiling though, it's not that big of a deal. I would put the chiller in one pot, and put the other pot in a water bath while it waits for the chiller to free up. Stir the pot in the water batch once in a while with a sanitized spoon and change out the water as needed. You will cut down on your total chill time and hopefully bring the 2nd pot down below 140F in a reasonable amount of time. This will help reduce the chances of DMS while the 1st pot is chilling.

Edit. I missed in my 1st read of your post that you have one pot about 15 min behind the other, so hopefully the 1st one will be chilled by the time the second one is done boiling? If you're just wondering whether or not to boil the chiller again when you transfer, I'd say just move it over if you're going strait from pot to pot and not worry about boiling it again.

Back