First all grain clarifying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoochild7

Reaction score
Well I did my first all grain. It went smoothly except my mash was a bit on the ineffeicient side got a 1030 but I know it was the crush. So better luck next time. But in my 2:30 am boil and my semi-drunk state I did not add the Irish moss to the boil. I don't mind cloudy bear but can I add Irish Moss to the secondary if I want?

Just pulled some from the fermenter way hoppy. Maybe even to hoppy but it is a bitter.LOL

I believe Irish Moss is only effective during the boil. I'd say don't worry about it. All of my beers have come out very clear, given enough time in secondary, and I've only remembered to throw some Irish Moss into about half of then during the boil. (Which reminds me, I just relized I forgot to throw some into my most recent batch :( :D)

I've forgotten the irish moss on plenty of batches. Cold conditioning in the secondary has consistently worked for me. If you dont have fridge space, a month in the closet does it too. I've also heard a lot about using gelatin but I've never tried it.

dont worry 'bout the clarity.

What was your hop schedule like?

when i first went to all grain i tended to over hop, no big whoop though, one mans IPA is another mans bitter...;)

Ah, Irish moss is overated, and I haven't used it in years myself.

Here's the skinny on why your beer is so hoppy :) Due to the fact that you undershot your gravity, your hop profile is going to be well lets just say a little bit amped up.
Here is why.
You predetermine the amount of hops that you are adding to a brew based on the desired number of IBU's you wish to achieve. By undershooting your gravity, your IBU's will become somewhat amplified because the gravity is lower, then anticipated.

Here is a formula for IBU calculation to help make sense.

Volume ( gallons)*Target IBU*(OG-1.050/.2+1)*(target IBU/260 +1)*1.01

Divided by: Percentage Utilization* Percentage Alpha Acid* 0.749

Whereas OG actually equal 1.030 instead of the 1.050 (which is what I think you might have been shooting for). Those details I did see on a thread somewhere around here.
I still do this all by longhand and hope to graduate to this promash widget soon.

Latest posts

Back