First All-Grain Brew Day - March Haters Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zentr

Reaction score
Hey all! After brewing a few extract beers, I decided to invest in some more equipment and try some all-grain brewing. This last Sunday I brewed Jamil's American Pale Ale recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. I called it, "March Haters Ale." I *think* everything went alright. I'm a bit uncertain how my mash was (I need a digital thermometer, for one), and my gravity was a little high. I'll have to wait to taste it. I posted a fairly detailed record of the brew day on my blog, Be Here Brewing, if you're interested.

Nice blog post. Welcome to the AG club. I'm still fairly new myself, but I noticed you didn't sparge at 168-170 like most people do. This might be why you ended up with a higher OG, however a good reason to sparge at the higher temp is to stop conversion and the risk of extracting off flavors...it also helps rinse the sugars of the grains, but sounds like you had no problem with that.
Either way it sounds like brew day was a success. Congrats!

Very cool. I hit an efficiency of 75% on my first AG batch (and then never hit that again until I adjusted my sparging technique). Nice blog, BTW.

Thanks all!

@periwinkle1239 -- Thanks for the constructive criticism. :) I definitely need to review mash temperatures and water volumes.

@kyleobie and barleyhole -- Thanks for the blog validation.

Latest posts

Back