First AG batch + HBT = Success

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catnip_X07

Reaction score
I decided that Labor Day was a good day to do my first AG batch. Novel idea, eh?. After reading throughout HBT and the AG sticky, I built myself a mash tun using a rectangular cooler and cpvc for the manifold. Got a big pot and the fun began.

One thing I noticed, and should have done a good dry (wet) run before brewing was to see how much water evaporated. I got about 5 gallons of wort from the mash tun and had to do an additional sparge to get to 6.5 gallons as I estimated a 1.5 gallon evaporation. Brewed like I would any extract or mini-mash. I was really hoping for a higher efficiency but came out spot on to the OG the kit said I should have so I figure it was a 70% efficiency. Andd wow... significant amounts of hot and cold break. Much more than any extract and mini-mash brews I've done before, but seems normal. I suppose I need to find a way to transfer the wort to the primary instead of the dump and strain.
Within 8 hours, there was a small krausen and within 24 hours, a thick krausen. Seems to have worked. Overall, it was a pretty easy process. I will do a few more all grain batches to see if I can improve efficiency.

TIPS:
1. Do a wet/dry run first and factor in a good grain absorption.
2. Water hoses are a good friend to have when cleaning up. Forgot about cleaning everything when I was done.
3. All grain seems intimidating, but it isn't.

Thanks to everyone on here for helping me with my first all grain batch. Without the advice and instructions from others, I would still be brewing with extract on my kitchen stove.

Back