First AG, 80% Eff, WTF?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frazier

Reaction score
What did I do right?

For my first AG, I decided to do Biermuncher's Centennial Blond, scaled down to a 2.2 gal. batch (my 5 gal. rig is spoken for at the moment, but Mr Beer was available).

I did the BIAB technique, hit 152 on the nose, waited an hour, and transferred the bag to a sparge pot. While it was dunking, I took a reading from the first runnings. It quickly became clear that something had gone horribly right, as I had 1 gallon of wort at 1.078 SG.

After joining the two pots, and doing the boil, my O.G. was at 1.048. So this will be a bit stronger than your usual CB.

It may be a while before I get the equipment for 5 gallon AG brews, but I'm encouraged by this one.

Thanks to all of you who added to my knowledge!

Nice job its very possible to do well at first with AG as long as you understand what you are doing and you hit your temps.

I got 92% on my second batch. I attribute that to hold the mash temp and hitting the right temp.

I would be surprised also at a 1.078 og from a brew in a bag.

But he didn't get 1.078 OG...

While it was dunking, I took a reading from the first runnings. It quickly became clear that something had gone horribly right, as I had 1 gallon of wort at 1.078 SG.

After joining the two pots, and doing the boil, my O.G. was at 1.048. So this will be a bit stronger than your usual CB.

Back