first 5 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if thats a 5 gallon carboy then you still don't have a 5 gallon brewing system. the beer will foam out the top no matter what you do and you will end up with less than 5 gallons of beer.... but on the other hand if thats a 6.5 gallon then very cool. enjoy your extra beer.

thanks mr. technical...:rolleyes:

at any rate, it will hopefully blow off some and I will end up with 4.876 gallons of beer instead of the 2.411 gallons of beer I have been brewing.

any time. well my job here is done. (( jumps into the air and flies away ))

oh and technically you will probably end up with 4.5 gallons of beer.

meh. I have beer. I'm not sure how pointing out my apparent quantity is helpful? I'm still happy with my beer and quantity. I still had a lot of fun brewing it. I had a good time chasing off the honey bees that seemed to come around as I was boiling the wort.

meh. I have beer. I'm not sure how pointing out my apparent quantity is helpful? I'm still happy with my beer and quantity. I still had a lot of fun brewing it. I had a good time chasing off the honey bees that seemed to come around as I was boiling the wort.

I read "I have beer" like Tom Hanks in Castaway "I HAVE BEER!!!" It's helpful because the content of your post was mainly about increasing your quantity to five gallons. In order to brew five gallons you have to ferment in a container that is over 5 gallons (6.5 gallons is typical) because if you put five gallons of wort in the carboy then the krausen will boil over every single time during fermentation.

If you are going to use those five gallon carboys I would suggest amending your recipes down to 4.5 gallons or so to give you enough room in the carboy. I use a bucket for fermentation just to be sure I have enough room. I keep my bucket in a cupboard in our utility room and I can't imagine the cleanup if I had an explosion in there.

You had beer before when you used your Mr.Beer. Your entire post was about wanting more beer.....more specifically how you have a 5 gallon batch. Tipsy was just pointing out that you will not end up with 5 gallons if you have a 5 gallon carboy. He not only pointed this out but warned you of overflow you will most likely have. Saving you from a mess most likely.

This community is full of very nice people.

You had beer before when you used your Mr.Beer. Your entire post was about wanting more beer.....more specifically how you have a 5 gallon batch. Tipsy was just pointing out that you will not end up with 5 gallons if you have a 5 gallon carboy. He not only pointed this out but warned you of overflow you will most likely have. Saving you from a mess most likely.

This community is full of very nice people.

I don't doubt that they are nice.

I round up. 4.5 is close enough to 5 for me.

My point being that a lot of my posts, for whatever reason, end up as technical problems that brewers feel the need to solve. If I was really a new brewer, just getting started, all this 'help' would turn me away. I'm here for fun. I like brewing and I'm certain everyone here likes brewing too. And sometimes all that knowledge is priceless. Today though I was just sharing.

I don't doubt that they are nice.

I round up. 4.5 is close enough to 5 for me.

My point being that a lot of my posts, for whatever reason, end up as technical problems that brewers feel the need to solve. If I was really a new brewer, just getting started, all this 'help' would turn me away. I'm here for fun. I like brewing and I'm certain everyone here likes brewing too. And sometimes all that knowledge is priceless. Today though I was just sharing.

But....problems must be solved.....we are men, afterall.

you also need to understand that the people here are not here to find cheap beer. We are here to make GOOD Beer. Good beer means we need to be quite scientific about our brewing method. Nobody said you cant just boil some malts and hops and pour it into a carboy and add a random yeast and hope you have about 5 gallons and make a drinkable beer.....but we also would not suggest nor recommend it.

you also need to understand that the people here are not here to find cheap beer. We are here to make GOOD Beer. Good beer means we need to be quite scientific about our brewing method. Nobody said you cant just boil some malts and hops and pour it into a carboy and add a random yeast and hope you have about 5 gallons and make a drinkable beer.....but we also would not suggest nor recommend it.

you sayin' my beer is not good? :D

This method seems like another one of those debates that will never be won. Is it true that blowing all your krausen off improves the beer? Since most home brewers seem to allow the krausen to fall back into the beer and they make amazing beers how could this be true? Is it another "secondary or not?" type issue?

I don't know, but it seems logical to me to let it remove as much Krausen as it naturally can. But I suppose it is up there with better bottle vs. glass carboy vs. bucket and secondary or not.....

I'm used to my Mr. Beer and it's primary fermentation sort of design (though I suppose you could modify it and do a secondary?).

I dunno but this is something I read:
http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2009/10/10/better-beer-with-the-burton-union-blow-off-method/

Back