First 10gal Batch - newb questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kulprit

Reaction score
Ok so me and my two buddies have done about 6 batches now (extract kits) and we feel comfortable with that process.

Only problem we are having is that the beer goes quickly when it's ready - haha.

So now that we have found at least one recipe kit that we really like - we wanted to make a larger batch.

We have a keggle and the burner to handle it - as well as the better bottles etc. I am pretty sure we have all the hardware.

My basic question is are there any pitfalls in the process of making a "double" batch using extract kits? Is it just doubling everything they tell you to do? Like if you initially boil 2.5 gallons - would you then boil up 5 gals? Then basically at the end I would siphon off the wort into two 6gal better bottles instead of the one.

It seems like it wouldn't be that big of a deal - maybe take a while longer to get to boils etc due to larger volume - but nothing we couldn't handle.

Any info, tips, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also should I make 2 seperate starters - or one larger starter and pour half into one half into the other?

2 seperate would probably be easier to make sure I got same amounts into each - but worry about different flavors etc?

Latest posts

Back