first 10 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

android

Reaction score
finally going to do a 10 gallon (12 actually) batch so a buddy of mine and I can split it. having never done one before, i have a few questions:

1) will boil off rate change at all with doubling my normal batch size? i normally start with 7.5 gallons and boil down to 6, but i assume that doubling that to 14 would result in me ending up with 12.5 gallons. So should I stick to my normal 1.5 gallons/hr boiloff and start with 13.5 to end with 12?

2) hop utilization doesn't change does it?

thanks.

Your boil off should be the same provided your burner can handle 10 gallons. Hop utilization should be the same too....

Hop utilization with a greater volume of liquid (with the same malt ratios) improves... I don't remember the exact numbers, but you can use a little less than double the hops when you double from 5 to 10 gallons. With that said, most people are hop heads, and will just double since the improvement is like 10% or 15%.

Hop utilization with a greater volume of liquid (with the same malt ratios) improves... I don't remember the exact numbers, but you can use a little less than double the hops when you double from 5 to 10 gallons. With that said, most people are hop heads, and will just double since the improvement is like 10% or 15%.

plus, my hops are getting on in age, so i could probably use the extra utilization. thanks for the replies!

Back