First 10 gallon batch - Carboy question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Semo

Reaction score
Just brewed my first AG 10 gallon batch. Boiled all in keggle and had flameout hop additions. I transferred the wort into 2-6 gallon carboys. There was a substantial color difference in the two carboys. I'm sure this is due to more stuff that had settled to the bottom of the keggle during the chill, but I want to ask if this is normal? (Sad is that I forgot to get a gravity reading before pitching yeast) Thanks in advance.

Yes it sounds normal. If you're shooting for identical carboys, you'd either need to have better trub trapping capabilities (or a better whirlpool), or just fill the carboys a bit a time, alternating between them (especially near the end of transferring).

But as this exBEERiment determines, you'll be fine with whatever amount of trub you have in the fermentor.

Thanks for the replies, I feel better after reading them. I will most likely add a "tee" off my valve in hopes of filling each carboy simultaneously. Big fan of Bruelosophy..great stuff there.

Latest posts

Back