Fire Hazard?? (3 Tier System)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funke910

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my brewing setup and get into all-grain brewing. I frequently check on craigslist to see if any equipment in the area is being posted. I saw this yesterday. I am intrigued by it, but at the same time it looks like it could be a fire hazard. Any opinions on safety or price would be appreciated.

Thanks

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/for/4377025891.html

It could be, but if you do it smart it won't be an issue. You could rebuild some parts with unistrut. That will handle heat and be easy to integrate. If you talk him down you would have a good deal. That little drawer looks handy. I am going to have drawers on my next brew stand.

Doesn't look like a hazard to me. I built a wooden single tier with 3 Blichmann burners built into it. Everybody called me crazy at the time but the rig has been running strong for over a year and shows less wear and heat stress than some metal single tiers I've seen. It's all about the setup and design...

I'm looking to upgrade my brewing setup and get into all-grain brewing. I frequently check on craigslist to see if any equipment in the area is being posted. I saw this yesterday. I am intrigued by it, but at the same time it looks like it could be a fire hazard. Any opinions on safety or price would be appreciated.

Thanks

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/for/4377025891.html

The only section where heat might be an issue is the lowest tier. You could get around this by installing a piece of sheet metal on the side of the cabinet and that would help it out a lot.

That said, I'm not crazy about the idea of an enclosed cabinet that close to a propane heater. It might get awfully hot in that cabinet space.

I have a 2 tier wooden stand. I use a cooler for my mash tun, so the flames don't go near any wood. I put a layer of aluminum down on the top of each level, but that was for cleaning as much as fire concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The seller's original intent may have also been to go electric, so no fire hazard at all.

Kal

Back