Finishing Hops in Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majikcook

Reaction score
Greeting from SC all,

I'm making a High Sierra Pale Ale, and in the recipe it calls for 1 ounce of Cascade finishing hops to be put into the secondary 3-7 days before bottling. I never have done this, and I am wondering if I just mash the pellets and stir in? Melt in 1 cup boiling water and stir in? Instructions don't say how to do it, just do it! Kinda like Nike Beer! :D Any thoughts?

I wouldn't handle them any more than necessary to minimize contamination. I'd just toss them in. Especially if they were whole hops ;)

Thanks for the info guys... Looks like I just toss them in and after 6 days shake the carboy a little and they'll sink to the bottom... Not sure if I'll do this again. I'll go for the fresh hops.

i don't know if you have to shake it mate :) the hops should settle, or not, but when you rack to the bottling bucket or container you shouldn't take too many hop peices with you. it is possible to get all the good beer, minus the slime on the bottom and the top when you syphon :)

Back