Finished my keezer just to scrap it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSNovi

Reaction score
I had a chest freezer sitting in my basement that I bought about 6 years ago. It had sat idle for two years. I learned a very common sense lesson on this one. I plugged it prior to the conversion and the compressor kicked on so I went to town on the conversion. It was not elaborate like many on here because it is a behind the wall of a bar setup but I had about 8 hours into it.

Upon completion a realized that it wouldn't cool. I did a bunch of research on refrigeration systems and I have concluded that it must have leaked the refrigerant out. The compressor starts and runs fine, but it won't even drop a degree from ambient based on the ST-1000.

I tore the collar back off and construction adhesive is some strong stuff. I ordered a new GE 7 cubic foot freezer that should be here Tuesday and they will take away the old one.

By the way I fabbed up a blower to circulate cold air around the lines and the box encasing the faucets. I think that part will work out well. My last setup with some computer fans didn't cut it.

Consider it a practice run.
Hopefully everything goes that much smoother on the next build with the new freezer.

Much like cars that "ran when parked" often develop mysterious problems it seems appliances aren't happy when they are just setting.

BTW we love keezer/ kegerator pics!

This thread is like the keezer. Sat idle for many years before being plugged in again.

Funny to that the OP responding! We want pics! We love pics!

Last edited:
AFDD64C3-343D-4C0E-A9B3-EC399E890F37.jpeg
0F097BD5-7818-4BEF-BF9C-53D2CB9D39A6.jpeg
12242728-DF48-4458-83D0-7F6EAEECED99.jpeg

Since the taps were mounting through the wall I had an insulated 3” PVC loop to run the beer lines. The blower circulated cold air through the PVC loop. Also there was an insulated box behind the taps which was part of the loop. The blower worked much better than a computer fan.

This thread ended well, how often does an 8 year old thread get bumped and the OP is still around and posts helpful pics!?

Looks great! I just have taps off of my collar, but still fiddling with PC fans to try and solve my foaming issues. Did you scrap the blower when you moved the taps to the collar in the new house?

Dan

Thanks. Yes, I no longer have any fans or blowers with the taps on the collar. I don't really get any foaming issues due to warm lines/taps now. I did switch up to 10' lines I believe is what I calculated.

Even though my old setup worked reasonably well, the taps right on the collar works much better. The best thing is that I don't ingest any humid air so my kegs don't get frozen in.

Back