Finished my first all grain batch, looking for some suggestions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lulzman

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed my first batch of all grain. It was the speckled hefer (spotted cow clone) from northern brewery.

Most of it went according to plan unfortunately I missed my target gravity by quite a bit. Target was 1.042 and I hit 1.032. Pretty sure this is because I over estimated the grain absorption and ended up with just under 6 gallons after my boil and it was supposed to be a 5 gallon batch. I've already pitched the yeast, but I was wondering if it would be reasonable to siphon off a gallon and boil it down to a quart to get the target gravity up? I'm okay with waiting for awhile longer for it to fully ferment, or I could pitch more yeast? What would you gentlemen and gentlewomen recommend? I just don't want to end up with a watered down tasting beer. After all, that's why I decided to home brew lol.

Also, I woke up this morning and the airlock had shot off. I resanitized it and shoved it back in. I have no idea how long it was out so should I be worried about bacterial contamination or wild yeast? It was less than five hours I'm sure, if it matters.

Thanks for any help you can provide a newbie.
-Lulzman

let it ride. you might find you like the beer better this way.
you do not need more yeast! if it blew off the air lock the yeast is very happy.
dont worry about contaimination. it is either there by now or not at all.
just let it run its course.
you can also try running more water through next time and run a longer boil.
would reccomend running a couple smashs till you get your efficiency close

Back