Final Gravity and alcohol %

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwan05

Reaction score
so my original reading was 1.040 and now its 1.012 its been 7 days but assuming it stays the same doesn't that make my alcohol by volume kind of low? 3.65 seems extremely low for an Australian pale ale.

thanks. ok so now that ive done my first batch i want to move to a non extract batch. the extracts seem sort of lame.. what should i move to next my knowledge is limited but im willing to put some research into it before brewing. What should i expect to pay in materials? id like to brew a very high alcohol % beer but i need some help of where to start.

First off, one can brew some excellent beers via extract, so don't be so quick to discount the process. However, if you are intent on going non-extract (i.e. AG) I would suggest a LOT of research before making the leap. There are many other things to consider than just boiling water and stirring in some DME.....

What was the recipe? Sometimes gravity readings for extract batches can be off a bit due to uneven mixing. It's possible to estimate the OG within a point or two using a bit of math (or software).

3.675% it may drop a few more points... but then again, if it's an extract batch, it can only go to about 1.010
That's not exactly true.

The ratio of OG to FG is the responsibility of the yeast.

You would be correct if the OG is 1.040 and the FG 1.010 if the yeasts attenuation is 75%. If it were greater the FG could go lower, but you knew that.;)

Achieving a higher % out of your brew requires more malt sugars to ferment out. But these extra sugars require more hops to keep the brew balanced.

Back