Filtering??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to. Some will run the chilled wort through a strainer if they don't bag their hops. You have to be careful about sanitizing it well.

Instead of filtering/straining wort, I like to:

- bag my hops

- add Whirlfloc at 10 min.

- after chilling, cover the kettle and let the gunk settle for 20 min.

- leave the kettle trub in the kettle.

I have a half round SS strainer that I put three layers of paint filter bags in. I use Irish Moss @ 15 minutes and get very clear beer above the hops/trub after cooling the BK. At the beginning there is a little silt that goes through, and as I get closer to the bottom I start to pick up some of the trub and gently pour it over the filter bags. As the filters catch more of the trub, the efficiency of the paint bags becomes greater, and takes progressively more time for each batch to filter through into the fermenter bucket. When I hit 6 gallons or so, I pull the strainer off of the fermenter and put it over a bowl, and slowly add the rest of the trub/wort into the strainer. At this point, I am not worried about strict sanitation as whatever drips through will be put into a jar to become some of the next batches starter.

Thanks! I'm minutes away from starting my first batch so we'll se this goes!!

I found my way to a big filter bag which I secure to the lip of my secondary fermenter(plastic bucket), pour in the wart, then transfer to my primary. Seems to aerate the wort pretty good and the majority of the hoops are removed.

I have a bazooka filter in my boil kettle and a filter in my funnel
you would be surprised the amount of junk you filter out

Latest posts

Back