Filter dry hops from conical on transfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milldoggy

Reaction score
Been doing a lot of NEIPA recently and trying all sorts of way of dry hopping and limiting 02 in the kegs. I wanted to add all my dry hops to primary in the conical, but had issues kegging due to clogged pop it's.

I found brewers hardware wort filters
https://www.brewershardware.com/Wort-Strainers/ and thought I would give them a try.

Results, fantastic. I had 10 ozs in a 10g batch as dry hops(4oz on day 3, 6oz on day 7). On day 14 I kegged. Did not cold crash, ambient temperature when transferred.

You do need a conical that can be pressurized. My moonshine distiller conical does not hold very well. Had to use quick clamps all around the lid. Was ok with about 2psi.

I used a tc15 with a 200 micron screen. I ran it opposite as recommended instructions so I could vent all the air out. Did a test run the other direction and could not vent all the air out.

Below are some pics.

View attachment 1506910065470.jpg

View attachment 1506910079666.jpg

View attachment 1506910091417.jpg

View attachment 1506910102648.jpg

It looks like you shook the fermenter. Lol. I thought the point of a conical is preventing your fermenter from looking like this at transfer stage. Even without cold crashing. I just used 27 ounces at 7 stages(yes overkill) on 12 gallon nedipa.(first one this year amazingly!! Been hooked on scotch ales and peppery reds this year) - if my fermenter ever looked like that when racking I would definitely use a steel bag in fermenter. I've done it with whole and pellets.
I blast my kegs with co2 prior to filling and release some as I fill when sealed. Ive never had an oxygenation problem. Have you?
I quit this method when I bellied out my 7 gallon fermenter. It was a harsh lesson to learn my gauge was busted.

It looks like you shook the fermenter. Lol. I thought the point of a conical is preventing your fermenter from looking like this at transfer stage. Even without cold crashing. I just used 27 ounces at 7 stages(yes overkill) on 12 gallon nedipa.(first one this year amazingly!! Been hooked on scotch ales and peppery reds this year) - if my fermenter ever looked like that when racking I would definitely use a steel bag in fermenter. I've done it with whole and pellets.
I blast my kegs with co2 prior to filling and release some as I fill when sealed. Ive never had an oxygenation problem. Have you?
I quit this method when I bellied out my 7 gallon fermenter. It was a harsh lesson to learn my gauge was busted.

You are just seeing a reflection. Only a krausen ring and a puddle of hops at the bottom.

Been doing a lot of NEIPA recently and trying all sorts of way of dry hopping and limiting 02 in the kegs. I wanted to add all my dry hops to primary in the conical, but had issues kegging due to clogged pop it's.

https://www.brewershardware.com/Wort-Strainers/ and thought I would give them a try.

Results, fantastic. I had 10 ozs in a 10g batch as dry hops(4oz on day 3, 6oz on day 7). On day 14 I kegged. Did not cold crash, ambient temperature when transferred.

You do need a conical that can be pressurized. My moonshine distiller conical does not hold very well. Had to use quick clamps all around the lid. Was ok with about 2psi.

I used a tc15 with a 200 micron screen. I ran it opposite as recommended instructions so I could vent all the air out. Did a test run the other direction and could not vent all the air out.

Below are some pics.

Milldoggy,

After using your inline filter, do you have any regrets with buying it? Are you happy with the 200 micron screen or would you go with a larger mesh size if you could do it all over again?

I'm considering getting one of these for my heavily dry-hopped IPA'S. I do closed transfers using CO2 from carboy to keg and sometimes clog the poppets on the dip tube in the process. What's your typical psi for transferring to keg?

Thanks for your help,

Jason

Used it once, extremely happy. The first pour from the keg was clear. So it works well.

I bought the 200, 300 and 400 micron screen. Only used the 200 so far. Finer would be nicer, but the keg is clean, so prob not required.

I would be worried pushing from carboy through it as it fills with debris, more psi is needed, probably 2-3 psi. I have no experience pressurizing a carboys. Raising the fermentor higher prob would help. Seemed like I needed more psi as the beer level came close to my keg level. So maybe a combo of clogging and reduced elevation difference.

I ordered this one myself a couple weeks ago and got it delivered to my door in about 10 days... The larger the diameter of the body the more effective it will be at filtering without plugging up.. I got the 100 mesh but others are available. it appears the domed lid design would aid in purging the liquid while still being able to run it in the correct direction for easier cleanup..

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lon...32805890242.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3Bqldv

orca-image-1507762760086.jpg_1507762760749.jpg

I ordered this one myself a couple weeks ago and got it delivered to my door in about 10 days... The larger the diameter of the body the more effective it will be at filtering without plugging up.. I got the 100 mesh but others are available. it appears the domed lid design would aid in purging the liquid while still being able to run it in the correct direction for easier cleanup..

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lon...32805890242.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3Bqldv

Nice, let us know how it works

Below are some pics.

Milldoggy,

I purchased the same strainer as you and was playing around with it today. You mentioned earlier that you weren't able to vent all the air out when running it in the recommended direction of flow. Maybe a stupid question but how did you know that you weren't venting all the air out?

Also, did yours come with instructions because mine did not.

Thanks again.

Milldoggy,

I purchased the same strainer as you and was playing around with it today. You mentioned earlier that you weren't able to vent all the air out when running it in the recommended direction of flow. Maybe a stupid question but how did you know that you weren't venting all the air out?

Also, did yours come with instructions because mine did not.

Thanks again.

I keep shaking it and more and more air would bubble up. Using in reverse, vented very easily.

No instructions, just read online and there was a post on here about using it as a boil kettle hop strainer.

I keep shaking it and more and more air would bubble up. Using in reverse, vented very easily.

No instructions, just read online and there was a post on here about using it as a boil kettle hop strainer.

Reason I asked, I did a test run today and ran it in the recommended flow direction. I read online that the outlet side of the strainer should sit above the inlet side. So I strapped the strainer to the side of a keg so the strainer would be in a vertical position. Once the beer started to flow through the tubing installed on the outlet side of the strainer, I filled a 12 oz glass with beer. I then put a connector on the strainer outlet hose and started to fill the keg. Throughout the keg fill, I didn't notice any pockets of air coming from the strainer. I hope I vented it properly.

Reason I asked, I did a test run today and ran it in the recommended flow direction. I read online that the outlet side of the strainer should sit above the inlet side. So I strapped the strainer to the side of a keg so the strainer would be in a vertical position. Once the beer started to flow through the tubing installed on the outlet side of the strainer, I filled a 12 oz glass with beer. I then put a connector on the strainer outlet hose and started to fill the keg. Throughout the keg fill, I didn't notice any pockets of air coming from the strainer. I hope I vented it properly.

I think I did this and turned 180 and noticed air go up through the supply line side.

Will try your technique next time.

Does anyone have any updates on using these over time? Also, what size diameter did you go with and do you recommend it?
Cheers - Alex

So I called brewershardware to get their opinion on using one of these as a hop filter. Great conversation and I was convinced it was worth a shot. First batch I tested on was a west coast IIPA with 6 ounces of dry hops. Figured, if it works with this one it'll work with any brew! I should also note this was only my second batch with my chronical so I'm still working on my methods. The issue I didn't really think through was how to successfully purge the filter to ensure an oxygen free transfer. What I did was push sanitizer through the keg at about 1 psi but I couldn't figure out how to push the sanitizer out with co2 out of the filter without introducing atmosphere. So I just poured out the sanitizer with the gas on and loosely attached it, purging the filter of atmosphere for about 30 seconds through the loose triclamp. What I'm thinking about doing next time is how others with it not directly attached are probably doing it. Filling the system with sanitizer from the bottom up, then flipping the filter upside down to replace sanitizer with co2 from the top down. With a hose connected, the hose can be positioned to act like a P trap.. The risk is using hose before the filter and it clogging up,, but that's what it looks like others have done. If that doesn't work I'll go back to the pressure purge while hooking it up. Plus look how ridiculous it looks hooked up!

Attachments

• 20210304_090849.jpg
    20210304_090849.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
Back