Fighting the urge to dump this batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somebirs

Reaction score
Should have known better. I don't like spiced beers in general and I don't like black licorice or anything like it.

But I go caught up in the pumpkin ale hype, and my LHBS had a recipe I followed to a tee. It called for two tablespoons of Chinese five spice, which has as its first ingredient, anise. When I read the ingredients, I should have gone with my better judgment and done an unspiced version. But no.

Everything in this batch went beautifully. I kept the temperatures pretty much ideal, I left it in primary for about a month, and the FG was just about spot on at 1.011.

But it tastes like licorice, and even though I can tell there is a lovely roasty, almost stout structure in the beer, it's now legged for a few days, and even cold, the anise just dominates everything.

My question is: what can I do? Make another batch without spices, and blend? Just give it time? Throw some hops into the keg? Help please. I do not want to throw out this otherwise beautiful keg of beer.

I do not know how to fix it, but when one of my beers was overpowered by anise flavor, I bottled a lot of it and shared it with people I know. A few of them still tell me how much they liked it and others were at least impressed and were happy to try something new.

At least share before dumping. Some people are anise-heads :)

I'm not a big anise fan either. But you would be surprised at folks who will love that beer. I wouldn't toss it. I'd haul it out at parties and see who likes it, then give them some as gifts as well.

That guy was looney to tell you to use 2TBSP of 5 spice! That stuff is really strong,& very little goes a long way. I think a couple of tsp's would've been plenty to give it a little spice in the background. I use that in Asian cooking,& only a couple small pinches is plenty.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I even went back and looked at the recipe to see if I messed up and it was supposed to be teaspoons. Sure enough, tablespoons. Unless it was a typo.

So irritated. Its like someone poured Jagermeister into a Guinness.

hmmm... perhaps I truly am a mad scientist, but if people love guinness cake and brownies... guinness pudding... what if you used this beer in making a pumpkin bread? You could serve the beer with it instead of coffee...

I'm not a big fan of anise,let alone too much spices of that nature in my food. not a big fan of putting them in my beers,either. Oh sure,the shock top clone wasn't bad. But some of these spiced holiday beers are a bit much. A strong ale,a barley wine,a good porter maybe is fine to me.
Hell,I may just make another batch of IPA for Christmas,to go with the Burton ale I'm brewing now.

hmmm... perhaps I truly am a mad scientist, but if people love guinness cake and brownies... guinness pudding... what if you used this beer in making a pumpkin bread? You could serve the beer with it inside of coffee...

I was thinking baking with it would be good. Also using it as a marinade for savory dishes. It might be interesting for a porkloin.

+1 on sharing, or cooking with it.

i wouldn't dump it. maybe take it to your LHBS and see if he'll put it on tap as samples. My LHBS has "guest brewmasters" quite frequently, and the kegs go pretty fast.

I vote to brew an identical batch minus the anise, and then mix two bottles together and see if that does the trick.

I like anise a lot. I'd probably drink it. So I agree with the other posters - find somebody to serve it to.

Sounds like you used a fairly dark and complex beer, right? The anise might fade with age if you're patient enough to let it sit for a couple of months.

Thanks for all the feedback. I will let it sit for a while. It's not even fully carbed yet, so that's something.

The good thing is I have a fermenter free now.

Another vote for cooking with it. I had a batch of cider turn to vinegar and that's exactly what I did with it. One of my favorites was using it in the water pan in my smoker.

+1 for for using it in a smoker. I had the same thing happen to me with a bottle of cherry wine. I just dumped it in the water pan and let it do its thing.

Id also agree on using it for brats or good German sausage. Or you could save it for the holidays and rinse down all this pizzels(sp?) that are tossed around.

Now I'd really like to get my hands on this recipe. I've put together some absolutely disturbing drinks with that flavor but a stout background sounds like something I'd like to try.

Stash it for 6 months and taste it. Most spices fade in time. Commercial pumpkin beers seem to lose their kick in 3-4 months.

Back