fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lincoln

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well since i didn't with the 7 gal fermentor form the give away I might as well finish this project. I had found a keg at the junk yard but some one had drilled a 1/4" hole in the bottom. original i was just going to weld up the hole and fine some use for it.

anyway though about using it as a fermentor so i bought a 6" tri clamp ferrule, gasket and clamp. It didn't really fit on the top because of the reinforcement of the keg spear.

So i turned it over and will use the bottom as a drain.

fermentor_1.jpg

still nead to polish out the welds:

fermentor_2.jpg

now i can get my fat arm down in there to clean it.

oh ya, I'm not a weldor by trade or training but most of the work i have done has bin in stainless, ti and copper. I have an old hobart TR-300-HF, probably about 90 amps, gigantic gas lens left over form my last job.

I need some 2" gaskets but mocked up the valve and elbow:

fermentor_4.jpg

next do do is mod the 6" cap with a couple of 1" ports for a racking setup and air lock/ blowoff

link

This is a great idea. Before I saw this thread I was kicking a similar idea around. Have you gotten around to using it? What did you use for a lid?

Also, is the bottom drain large enough to catch all of the trub/yeast to function similar to a conical?

Hello,
Haven't had a chance yet, been busy with work et al. I have to mod the 6" cap + make a shelf with a cutout for the fridge to support it before i will know. My gut feeling is that it will be less than ideal compared to a real conical. Probably would not have done it if the meth heads that turned it into the scrap yard hadn't already drilled a hole in it. I also have a bunch of 2" TC fittings left over form my dad's winery.

Any updates? I'm thinking about doing this to one of my kegs, but a 6" TC is expensive.

Back