Fermenting Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QBrew

Reaction score
I have made a 5G batch of IPA and it has been in the primary for two weeks. However, the yeast does not want to settle. When I started to notice it wasn't settling I shook it thinking I didn't aerate it enough and I had a stuck fermentation, I did this twice, about 5 days ago, and then again 2 days ago. I just took a reading and the SG = 1.015. Therefore it seems to be done in the primary. Should I go ahead and transfer it and dry hop it now? And what could be the cause of the yeast not dropping?

I have made a 5G batch of IPA and it has been in the primary for two weeks. However, the yeast does not want to settle. When I started to notice it wasn't settling I shook it thinking I didn't aerate it enough and I had a stuck fermentation, I did this twice, about 5 days ago, and then again 2 days ago. I just took a reading and the SG = 1.015. Therefore it seems to be done in the primary. Should I go ahead and transfer it and dry hop it now?

Yes, dry hop in the secondary.

And what could be the cause of the yeast not dropping?

You kept shaking it up and it may be still fermenting. When it's done it will drop out unless the yeast has less flocculation characteristics.

You could leave it in the primary for a couple more days and see if it clears a bit more - but a couple of weeks in the secondary ought to do it as well. After all, clearing the beer is one of the main points of doing a secondary in the first place.

The yeast will fall out, it just takes time. I'd transfer it to secondary for 4-5 days to let it clear and gas off a bit (before adding hops), then dry hop for 10 days and bottle. That should help preserve as much of that hop aroma as possible. If you can drop the temperature in the secondary, that will also help it clear faster.

Thanks for your help. I think the primary fermentation was done. Like I said the SG was only 1.015. The yeast sediment on top seemed "fluffy". The important thing is when I sampled it, it tasted great.

Search for some info on cold crashing. At the end of fermentation, if you cool your jug down, it will help cause everything to drop out. This time of year, I set my bucket outside for a couple of days.

Back