Fermenting and Closed Transfer to Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler.W

Reaction score
I am trying to build a basic setup for closed transfers to my kegs.

Right now I am thinking I can use a gas line as a blow off to the gas in on my keg. I should have more than enough headroom to avoid actual blow-off, so it should just be CO2. The keg would be full of sanitizer, and using the beer out I would push the sanitizer into another bucket. When it comes time to transfer, I can still leave the gas line in place, and take the end of the beer out tube and attach it to my ball valve on the fermenter (Anvil Bucket). This would be a gravity fed system, but since the gas will be pushed back into the fermenter it should avoid oxygen ingress.

My questions are:
  1. Is this a good setup, or are there better ways to achieve this?
  2. Will the siphon start easily this way, or will it need to be pushed? I think the ball valve is about 4ft higher than the keg. I am trying to avoid using more CO2 for this.

Thats what I do when I'm not using my spike cf5. The co2 in the keg goes back into the fv . I ran the hose to the airlock. You won't have any issues.

Back