Fermenting Ales in a Fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lou1998

Reaction score
Hey all,
I usually brew hefeweizens and alts. However, my house is usually between 68 in the winter and 74 in the summer, which is a little too warm. In the past, I have used a cooler with ice bottles to keep temps down. However, I am thinking about getting a fridge to have better control. Is a fridge capable of running at higher temps to ferment ales?

Thanks,
Lou

Absolutely. You'll need an external temp controller, though. The built-in thermostats in refrigerators won't go that high, and they're not accurate enough for fermenting. Do a search for Ranco or Johnson temp controllers. You should be able to find one for around $50 for analog, double that for digital. Here's an example: Refrigerator Thermostat. There are also threads here that discuss making your own (can't find a link ATM).

MrH

Thanks. I have a controller, but wasn't sure if the fridge would be ok at those temps. I will keep an eye out for a cheap fridge and give it a shot.
Lou

Back