Fermentation vessels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codfishhead

Reaction score
I'm just getting back into brewing and I'm in need of equipment. Brewed 3 5 gal batches this week and have no other buckets for first stage. I have 4 glass carboys for secondary. Plan to lager beers as well.

What cheap vessels do you use to ferment in? My system is a 1:2 keg. After I get my processes n recipes down I will be moving up to 10 gal batches.

Thx

Jay

You don't have to secondary unless you plan to lager for longer than two months. Just use your carboys for primary if they are large enough. Or, just buy some more buckets.

Many forgo secondary fermentation and just do primary for 2-4 weeks then bottle or keg. My beers are always done in two weeks, get cold crashed, then kegged.

Thx guys
I've read this but as an old school brewer I need to prove that to myself before stayng it as fact.

I'll have to play with tests first. I don't like the thought of leaving the beer sit over yeast ****. I'll do a 10 gal batch n split it to see about any off flavors or changed in fermenting times Temps.

Anyone that have done these test already please point me to the posts

Come on guys I need some ideas.

What do you guys use that make 10 gal or more size gal batches? 2 buckets?

Does anyone know some place that sells the buckets in bulk?

Walmart sells 5 gallon water bottles for $5 each. My first batch was in one for a month (maybe 3weeks) and is better than any beer I can buy round my area. No off flavors.

Back