Fermentation Temperature Control Coil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcaggiano

Reaction score
So I just bought a conical fermenter and I can't help but think I can do temp control so much cheaper than what is offered out there on the open market. I have the idea and run through the prices of all of the inventory I will need to pull this off except for one thing...the stainless coiling to immerse in the fermenter.

Here is my question (which I have searched and searched on, come close but not dead on): Can 304 stainless brake line be used in a fermenter to control rising temperature? Obviously, I would need to thoroughly clean it and passivate it.

Thoughts?

Brake line tubing ID is tiny and the walls are much thicker than the 1/2" stainless tubing typically used for herms and chiller coils.
I think the performance would be less than thrilling...

Cheers!

Brake line tubing ID is tiny and the walls are much thicker than the 1/2" stainless tubing typically used for herms and chiller coils.
I think the performance would be less than thrilling...

Cheers!

Thanks. I hadn't considered wall thickness vs ID in this. You are likely correct in a reduced exchange rate. Woo_pig may have the most suitable consideration and modifying to suit the application.

:mug:

Back