Fermentation Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stromboni

Reaction score
I am going to brew my first beer this weekend and was wondering about temperature for fermenting. I have a kit that tells me what it should be at (around 65-70F), but I don't have anything for temperature control. Would I be ok just setting my thermestat at 70F and throwing the bucket down in my basement where it is a bit cooler?

Google swamp cooler. Basically you put your fermenter in a bucket of water with fabric draped over you fermenter and also in the water so that it wicks the water up and cools your fermenter as it evaporates. A block or two of ice can help too.

If you have several spare water or sport drink bottles, you can freeze several at a time and switch out once you are able to account for melting rate, temperature fluctuation, etc. Every set-up will be different, so you'll have to take notes and play it by ear. Remember that the ambient temperature around the bucket/carboy may be 70, but the yeast will be producing heat. Basically, the wort turning to beer will be warmer than the ambient temperature. Temperature control is a huge factor in making better beer. Def +1 for a swamp cooler before you decide on what type of fermentation chamber you might use.

Glad to hear it man. What did you end up brewing?
I ended up going with a New England IPA, it's on the 4th day of fermenting and I can smell a faint and decent aroma coming from the airlock. Not tons of bubbling, but there has been a little bit. Has me slightly concerned haha

4th day of fermenting
Did you get a decent layer of foam (krausen) that fell back down into the beer? It leaves about two inches of crud on the sides. In any case, it sounds perfectly fine. No need to open the fermenter to check gravity until it's done.
Good luck.

Did you get a decent layer of foam (krausen) that fell back down into the beer? It leaves about two inches of crud on the sides. In any case, it sounds perfectly fine. No need to open the fermenter to check gravity until it's done.
Good luck.
I don't recall there being much Krausen at all initially. It has also been fermenting in a plastic bucket so I can't see what's going on, I haven't opened the bucket since I sealed it

I don't recall there being much Krausen at all actually
Still not to worry, as your beer is fermenting. even a light foam on top is fine. Some yeasts just plug along slowly, getting the job done. Like I said, check it when it's done. You can check the beer after a week, two weeks, sometimes longer. With that one you mentioned, I'd wait ten days (edit: from the time you put yeast in), take a reading, skip a day, take another reading. If those two readings are the same, you're good to go. Your kit will list what the final gravity reading should be.
If you had no activity, I'd be concerned, but you did so you're good.

Still not to worry, as your beer is fermenting. even a light foam on top is fine. Some yeasts just plug along slowly, getting the job done. Like I said, check it when it's done. You can check the beer after a week, two weeks, sometimes longer. With that one you mentioned, I'd wait ten days (edit: from the time you put yeast in), take a reading, skip a day, take another reading. If those two readings are the same, you're good to go. Your kit will list what the final gravity reading should be.
If you had no activity, I'd be concerned, but you did so you're good.
Honestly, I've never seen any active bubbling with my own eyes. Just very small bubbles around the edge of the airlock after the first day

Honestly, I've never seen any active bubbling with my own eyes. Just very small bubbles around the edge of the airlock after the first day
If you pitched your yeast at the recommended temp (or even a little higher), I would still give the same advice which is wait a total of 7-10 days before checking. I'm assuming you used dry yeast which is nearly fool proof.
Keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back