Fermentation Starting Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtal Batch

Reaction score
It's my first brewing attempt in 8 years. Now that the fermentation has begun (hopefully), the one thing I remember the most is the paranoia of contaminating the brew or doing something wrong.

I boiled the wort yesterday and settled everything in for the fermentation. I thought I had a great set up in the garage with an old (but working) stand up freezer that's just the perfect size for the bucket. I know that fermenting in an area that is subject to temperature fluctuations (garage) is not recommeded, but that's where the freezer unit was to come in to help moderate the temp if needed. However, this week is going to be down in the 30's and 40's at night, so obviously the freezer isn't going to be handy except giving the wort a quiet dark place to ferment. With the power to the freezer off, I estimated that the temperature inside the unit was in the upper 50's overnight. The temperature was in the lower 60's late this afternoon when I got home. There's no bubbling in the airlock and after peeking into the wort, I see only small signs of bubbles forming.

Would the low temperatures be to blame for the slow start? If so, should I leave it alone and let it take its time?

The only other place that I may be able to reach a stable temperature is my bedroom closet, but it is lingering in the lower 70's.

My kit is a typical amber ale so I guess the optimum temperature would be between 60-70 degrees. Is it better to ferment at the low or high end of that scale?

Any recommendations would be appreciated at this point. I am trying not to panic! It's taken me 8 years to find the time to brew again, so I am very anxious!!! :(

thanks!

Yes, the low temp is responsible for the slow start...ideally you'd like to keep it in the mid 70's until fermentation gets going good. After it gets going, something in the mid 60's would be fine...IMHO it's better to ferment at the lower rather than the higher end of the temp range.

Thanks for the info! I went ahead and moved it to the more stable temperature of my closet (68.9 degrees). Once it starts going I will move it back. I should be able to keep it at a stable mid- 60's temperature later in the week once the milder weather sets in. My closet may hold below 70 for a couple of days, but I would rather ferment at a lower temp than higher.

One thing I remember from my first brewing experience is that warm temps can be so inviting to the bacteria. I do believe that is why my first batch turned bad. I couldn't find a cool enough area to ferment. I was struggling to keep it below 72 degrees. That's what brewing in the Florida summertime will teach ya!

Brewtal Batch said:
I was struggling to keep it below 72 degrees. That's what brewing in the Florida summertime will teach ya!
A rubbermaid tub filled with water is a good place to set your fermenter in the summer. Then you can drop a block of ice in there every day, and keep it as cool as you like.

Okay, I am more than 48 hours into the fermentation. I relocated my fermenter last night to a more stable and a bit warmer environment (65~68 degrees), but still no bubbles in the bubbler. I see some krausen through the plastic bucket, but I don't want to remove the lid to see how much. The water level in the bubbler is starting to tilt, so I still have hope.

Is it possible that the first 24 hours in the fermenter at a high 50's temp slowed the start of the fermentation that much? If so, will the slow start harm the brew?

If you can see krausen forming that means that your fermentation is likely going pretty well. If you still don't see any bubbles it is possible that there is a bad seal on the lid of your bucket. If you push down very lightly on the lid and there is positive pressure from any CO2 being formed you should force a bubble through your air lock. If you don't see this, it sounds like your lid is leaking. Just a thought.

Checked the bubbler today (36 hours since fermentation began) and still no action. It appears to have a good seal. If I press on the lid, the water level in the bubbler fluctuates. Temptation got the best of me so I opened the lid to see what was going on. It does not appear to have much fermenting going on, just light bubbles one the surface gunked up with the hops. Something happened because there is a kraeusen ring a couple of inches higher than the settled brew. Could it be done fermenting in 36 hours?

I checked the gravity and it came up 1.014, my starting gravity was 1.042. My calculations tell me that that's about right for complete fermentation.

Is it possible that in the first 24 hours my fermentation went wild? What's strange about that is the first 24 hours the temperature hovered around upper 50's and lower 60's. I figured that would make it slow. My figures are showing me the complete opposite. Is this possible?

I wasn't prepared to bottle until the weekend. If the fermentation is complete, would it hurt to leave it there until then? Would it hurt to stir it a little to maybe get some final fermentation going?

:confused:

Just leave it. Fermentation sounds like it is mostly done. My first 2 batches were all down to 1.018 within the first 3 days. If you didn't see any action, there could have been a small leak someplace, but it doesn't sound like it. The beer should be fine in the primary, most people patiently wait for at least 7 days and it shouldn't be a problem until 2 or so weeks, then the trub can start to contribute off flavors. I've always left it 7-10 days in the primary. I wouldn't worry about stirring, if any final fermentation needs to happen it will, but it sounds like you're at your final gravity.

Relax...(yeah, we know the rest right?)

Thanks for all the info. During the gravity check I couldn't resist a taste. Not too bad, but very hoppy. This is probably due to boiling the wort for a full hour with cascade hops. The brew kit called for a 1/2 hour boil with full hops, but most other procedures mention a full hour boil. I guess with a full hour boil, I should have waited to add the hops.

I would like to do a second fermentation for a couple of reasons. First, I would like to filter out all of the hop residue. Secondly, to add something to the middle of the taste to off set the bitterness of the strong hops; perhaps something of a mild fruit note. I have never done a second ferment, much less filter it in the process. Any suggestions?

That bitterness is going to mellow out with time, but if you're going to secondary it, then some dry hops might just add that mild fruit note you're looking for.

Just to tag on to the temperature control thing. I use a Rubbermaid Brute 15 gallon trash can for my temperature control. It holds enough water around a glass carboy 6.5 or 5 gallon to give plenty of room for ice or hot water to adjust the temp and volume enough to keep the temperature stable.
I keep a floating swimming pool thermometer in the water and just pull it up twice a day to ck for any adjustments needed. I started in this high end of the temp range (for this one white labs says 65-68 degrees) and pulled it down to 65 as soon as it started fermenting and it has stayed there for the last five days and has done what looks like a textbook fermentation.

I moved to a second fermenter on Friday. Now it is sitting in a rubbermaid bin in my closet. The temperature has been holding in the mid-60's since. I will probably bottle it this coming weekend. Thanks for all the info.

Back