Fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coviner

Reaction score
Alright, so I followed an extract based oatmeal stout recipe to the letter, took careful care to keep everything sterile, pitched my Irish Ale yeast at a temp of 70 degrees (which was on the high side for the strain from the info I have gathered, but still within it's optimum range), and stored the beer in a closet near my thermostat. The beer was in the fermentor and capped at about 7 PM CT on Friday night. My initial gravity reading was at about 1.050

I noticed very active fermentation by the time I returned home from work, which was about 4 AM CT. Constant bubbles, very foamy, etc.

Flash forward to Sunday, fermentation had slowed considerably by about 4 AM, still bubbling about 8-10 times a minute but a very thin layer of foam.

About 15 minutes ago, I took my second gravity reading and it tested out at about 1.014. This falls into the finished gravity range in the recipe. There is less foam than yesterday and I am only seeing bubbles about once every 25-30 seconds now. We have maintained the beer at a constant 70 degrees.

It couldn't have possibly fermented this quickly, right? If no, what do I do?

obviously it did finish that quickly if your in your target FG range. wait till 2 weeks from brew day then check your SG. wait another 3 days and check again. if its the same then your done and can bottle.

Depending on lots of factors, yes, the major activity can finish quickly. The yeast are still busy, and will be for a while. Don't touch it for another 3 weeks, then bottle or keg it.

obviously it did finish that quickly if your in your target FG range. wait till 2 weeks from brew day then check your SG. wait another 3 days and check again. if its the same then your done and can bottle.

Right on. Thank you, I learned something new today.

Back