Fermentation purging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Closet Fermenter

Bottle in front of me over frontal lobotomy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been improving my methods by working on closed transfers. I had to take it in steps as I setup my equipment to accommodate the process. I have also started using fermentation gas to purge my receiving kegs. A couple questions:

1) Is the fermentation gas purge adequate to remove the O2 to an acceptable level, or should I just go with a liquid purge?
2) If the liquid purge is the preferred method, will the fermentation gas be adequate in pushing out the sanitizer, or is a a compressed CO₂ tank the only option?

Yes, the gas alone from a ferment is plenty to push all of the O2 out.

I do not push the sanitizer out. I sanitize and remove all of the sanitizer before closing the keg for purging. This is quite handy as I sanitize the fermenter as well as the receiving keg & lines at the same time at brewday. So after the ferment there is nothing to do but transfer. Maybe dip the QDs in sanitizer before the transfer.

ctrl c; ctrl v
:yes:
Seriously though, that really needs a sticky.
How do you do a cut 'n paste out of my bookmarks? I tried a cut 'n paste of the link in the post (in the post number) and didn't get that text.

This is what I get when doing a cut 'n paste of the post link a couple of different ways:

1680985417800.png

Also, that thread is stickied. But that forum has 7 stickies, so they can't all be on top of the forum.

Brew on :mug:

[...]
1) Is the fermentation gas purge adequate to remove the O2 to an acceptable level, or should I just go with a liquid purge?
2) If the liquid purge is the preferred method, will the fermentation gas be adequate in pushing out the sanitizer, or is a a compressed CO₂ tank the only option?

1- I've been using the fermentation gas purge ever since @doug293cz wrote up his epic tome :D and it hasn't let me down. Indeed I have two new england ipas on tap now, one of which is a couple of months in the keg, and they are perfect.

2- I haven't done this myself though I might try it one of these days, but I have read others on HBT that have used fermentation gases to push sanitizer out successfully. My only reticence is I do 10 gallon/two keg batches with the kegs serially connected and I'm not sure that would work reliably...

Cheers!

One follow up question:
I have also been adding corn sugar to my sanitized kegs before sealing up and connecting to the fermenter for purging. Since this sugar has not been boiled, should I be concerned about it sitting there in the bottom of a keg for two weeks as moist CO₂ is being pumped in from my fermenter? I have been wondering about mold or something growing in there, introduced by the sugar. I can’t know if it’s there or not because I don’t open the purged keg and do a closed transfer.
Should I consider boiling the sugar in a little water and pouring that into the keg?

Get yourself a BIG syringe (like 500ml) and a spare gas disconnect, and you'll be able to mix your primer and inject it into the keg through the gas post whenever you are ready...

View attachment 818183

Cheers!
Thanks! I’ll see what I can come up with. If it accomplishes nothing more than peace of mind, it will be worth it.

Back