Fermentation odors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Farty means sulphurous, means stressed yeast. Next time, think about some good yeast nutrients like, for example, fermaid o. Don't use the cheap ones, they impart bad flavour, if you are unlucky.

Farty means sulphurous, means stressed yeast. Next time, think about some good yeast nutrients

I do that. *I* don't smell any sulfur; she just doesn't like the smell of CO2 coming out of the airlock. I'm wondering if a HEPA filter will take it out, before I spend the money to find out.

I do that. *I* don't smell any sulfur; she just doesn't like the smell of CO2 coming out of the airlock. I'm wondering if a HEPA filter will take it out, before I spend the money to find out.
I honestly think that she might just be p*ssed off because of your hobby... Co2 is odourless. If that's true, you can just remove that jug because nothing else would please the lady.

CO2 out of a tank may be odorless, but I've never brewed a batch of beer or wine in my life that didn't have a distinctive odor coming out of the airlock. I'm curious if anyone has had success removing it with an air purifier.

Move it to the garage? During primary fermentation I keep mine on the kitchen counter, and my wife doesn't like the smell, but she tolerates it. Once it goes into secondary, it gets moved to the garage. If you do move it, you'll need to keep an eye on the temperatures and pick a yeast that tolerates the temps in your area.

Never needed an air purifier - the smells that come out of my airlocks are always pleasant. Maybe a spritz of Lysol? Or a Glade Plug-In?

IKR? I guess "pleasant" is in the nose of the beholder. A plug-in is certainly cheaper -- I'll start there.

Back