Fermentation finished, now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigrbuk

Reaction score
Cooper's beer kit, first brew.

It was all bottled with the sugar drops approx 4 weeks ago now, which would suggest it's all done. I've refridgerared and tried a couple of bottles over the last 2 weeks to see what's happening, but I think I refrigerated too early as they were a bit flat.

Anyway, the bottles that are still sat at room temp feeling pretty gassed up - are they safe to leave there? I don't really have fridge room for them all! One other option I suppose :)

I would think you're ok to leave the bottles there, especially if the first few seemed a bit flat. This could be a noob assumption but if you were going to have problems with bottle bombs, it would have already happened.

I would think you're ok to leave the bottles there, especially if the first few seemed a bit flat. This could be a noob assumption but if you were going to have problems with bottle bombs, it would have already happened.

Depends a lot on the yeast and recipe. Yeah, what you said is correct 99% of the time. What can screw you is if you've brewed a batch at the upper limit of your yeast's ability to attenuate... so if it's a Quadruple Imperial Russian Stout, there might be enough sugar there for a bottle bomb but the yeast could take a while to get there.

At least, anecdotally, this is the case. I've never had it happen! :p

Just opened one of the ones refrigerated a week later, tastes better, still little gas though. More gone in the fridge, PET bottles rock hard, hopefully a bit more fizz in those...

Just opened one of the ones refrigerated a week later, tastes better, still little gas though. More gone in the fridge, PET bottles rock hard, hopefully a bit more fizz in those...

It's all a patience game. Not a game I am particularly good at, but what can you do. It really does feel like magic when you try one and it's suddenly perfect... but it'll get there. The carb tabs are real hard to screw up.

Back