Fermentation ended early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logjumper2

Reaction score
I am brewing a belgian pale ale. Fermentation started within the first 4 hours, yet ended after only 24 hours. Question if this is normal or is there something wrong with my brew.

IB4TR (In before the Revvy)

I'm just going to channel the force a bit here... Yes... Yes, I see....

You're assuming that fermentation has finished because your airlock has stopped bubbling. Hmm... This is a poor indication, although there is some chance that you are correct. If you plan on using a secondary (go ahead and search, see how many of us just leave the beer in primary for 4-6 weeks skipping secondary altogether, and how delicious our beer is) at least wait until your hydrometer tells you that fermentation is complete. If you get the same reading over a 3 day period of time, then fermentation likely has actually finished.

Your airlock will try and fool you. Do not be tricked! It can sense your fear. Especially (but not exclusively) if you're brewing in a bucket, you may never see bubbles at all, but you can be sure fermentation is taking place or has finished when your hydrometer says so.

IB4TR (In before the Revvy)

I'm just going to channel the force a bit here... Yes... Yes, I see....

You're assuming that fermentation has finished because your airlock has stopped bubbling. Hmm... This is a poor indication, although there is some chance that you are correct. If you plan on using a secondary (go ahead and search, see how many of us just leave the beer in primary for 4-6 weeks skipping secondary altogether, and how delicious our beer is) at least wait until your hydrometer tells you that fermentation is complete. If you get the same reading over a 3 day period of time, then fermentation likely has actually finished.

Your airlock will try and fool you. Do not be tricked! It can sense your fear. Especially (but not exclusively) if you're brewing in a bucket, you may never see bubbles at all, but you can be sure fermentation is taking place or has finished when your hydrometer says so.

+1 on all of your wise words.

Thanks for all of the help. I thought that the airlock was the main sign that the fermentation has ended. Boy was I wrong. Thanks

Back