Fermentation Chamber Heater CHEAP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just use a bare lightbulb and $3.88 IKEA light-bulb-cord.

I'm not sure what the point of the paint can is.

I use a Delonghi forced air heater which has a thermostat. Works great, I keep it on low power. Keeping the inside of my currently unused upright freezer at 62-63 in my otherwise 55 deg basement. Was pretty cheap when I bought it like 20 years ago.

Over time, 75 watts enclosed in that paint can may soften or even melt the plastic fixture. That fixture is not really designed to be used in an enclosure. There are ceramic versions of that fixture that would hold up much better. MHO

BetterSense said:
I'm not sure what the point of the paint can is.

My guess is it also tempers the heat a little... either way, I enjoy putting sh*t like this together :)

raouliii said:
Over time, 75 watts enclosed in that paint can may soften or even melt the plastic fixture. That fixture is not really designed to be used in an enclosure. There are ceramic versions of that fixture that would hold up much better. MHO

My father in law suggested the same thing, but I refused his advice :/ I really don't think the bulb will be on for long periods of time... if it melts, I'll switch to ceramic, which costs less than $2 anyway. Thanks!

My father in law suggested the same thing, but I refused his advice :/ I really don't think the bulb will be on for long periods of time... if it melts, I'll switch to ceramic, which costs less than $2 anyway. Thanks!

Your doing nasty things to his daughter could you at least listen to him on this one?

My little ceramic fan heater is a nice idea, but the thermostat in it turns it off and I have to unplug it to reset it. Not very practical.

I already had the ceramic light fixture and I'm using a 75 watt black light bulb.

ForumRunner_20111227_220151.jpg

It's been working great! Keeping my Bohonkus Brown at about 66F in a 50F garage. I did switch to a 60W bulb, even though it's only on for mere minutes at a time.

Back