Fermentation cabinet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garyr2973

Reaction score
I just wanted to know if anyone has tried my idea. I was planning to build a box big enough for 3 6.5 gallons carboys and cool it with an eBay temp controller that controls a window A/C. I was planning to frame the box out of 2x4s and then sandwich 2" foam board between plywood/OSB board. Has anyone tried this?

It is easy to do if your looking for regular fermentation temperature but if your looking to lager in it the AC unit will freeze up before it gets you down to the temps you want.

I got mine down to 10C (50F) w/o the A/C freezing. For $300, you could buy a CoolBot and not have to worry about your A/C freezing. I just saw a BrewPub using three A/C units and CoolBots to keep their beer cold.

I'm going to brew a Dunkel soon for a late Oktoberfest (maybe Novemberfest before it's finished) and I'll have to take it down into the 50s. I'm also a big believer in cold crashing. I normally use our garage fridge for that as long as my wife does not have it too full of stuff. It really makes your beers sparkle. I entered my Blonde Ale in a competition in CA and both judging sheets used the word brilliant to describe the clarity.

fifty isnt the issue its going down to the low forties and thirties where you will run into issues

Back