Fermenator G4

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else tried one of these yet? The price point is tempting, but there are only a few reviews out there.

So far I've been happy with mine. The lid seal was problematic. (Over 10 psi) But they have redesigned it and are sending out updated seals for early models. I was able to ferment, carbonate, and can some beer right from the fermenter.

Comparing apples to apples against my recent 2 x Spike CF10 purchase the pricing is very close but I see some key differences.

- Some of the included items might be included but pricing is about a wash. The "competitive comparison" includes some errors and misleading language which is a pet peeve of mine.
- Blichmann's aseptic valve is a nice design but precludes you from attaching the carb/oxygenation stone there so you would have to use the body port.
- Blichmann's carb stone won't work on a butterfly valve so you must commit a port up front. That also means you need one per fermenter where the cup design can be shared. They list this as an advantage. Not sure who is more righter on the functionality.
- Blichmann's level gauge is really slick. Wish Spike had that. Wonder how it will be to clean?
- Blichmann's Y-shaped caster base looks really stout though the Spike extended bracing shelf is solid once bolt on as well.
- Blichmann doesn't have a sample valve. Spikes was nothing to write home about and Brew Hardware sells a much better design. But Blichmann has no where to put it if you want to use the carb stone. The Aseptic valve is meh for sampling on my cornical under pressure. And you can't put a cool pigtail on it.
- Blichmann's bottom port is only 1.5" where Spike uses 2"
- Blichmann has no heat option listed.
- Blichmann has no jacket option listed but shows it on the competitive comparison.

One think I find interesting. Not saying who's wrong or right, just interesting. Ben from Spike recommends against small port spunding valves like Blichmann, Blow Tie, etc. Blichmann not only uses their own obviously but they also use a keg-type PRV. They do note in the manual to leave 20% dead space so you don't clog the spunding and PRV valves.

So far I've been happy with mine. The lid seal was problematic. (Over 10 psi) But they have redesigned it and are sending out updated seals for early models. I was able to ferment, carbonate, and can some beer right from the fermenter.
How do I know if I have the older design or newer? I received my 7g fermenter back in May.

Back